ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The Fontbonne University women's volleyball team opened its conference play with a tough three-set loss against Westminster on Wednesday night.
Final: Westminster 3, Fontbonne 0 (25-16, 25-15, 25-21)
Records: Westminster 5-5 (3-0 SLIAC), Fontbonne 0-10 (0-1 SLIAC)
How It Happened
In the first set, a kill from Jill Reando narrowed the deficit down to 9-7. However, the Blue Jays went on a 7-0 run to own a 16-7 lead on a block assist from Teresa Becker and Sarah Rivers. Fontbonne got to within five (20-15), though the Blue Jays finished out the set on a 5-1 run for the 25-16 win.
It was the same story early in the second set with Fontbonne trailing 9-7 on a Westminster attack error. WC answered with a 6-0 run this time around to gain the necessary breathing room, 15-7. From there, the Blue Jays were able to go on for the 25-15 victory.
The two teams went point-for-point and eventually Fontbonne earned a 19-18 lead on a kill from Maura Rabun. However, the Blue Jays responded with a 4-0 run and were able to close out the match on Ashley Kistatitis' kill for the 25-21 set and match win.
Statistically, the third set was one of the best on the year for Fontbonne with 17 kills and just two attack errors for a .375 hitting percentage.
Inside The Numbers
- Offensively, the Griffins set new season-high marks in kills (34) and assists (29).
- The team concluded with a .162 hitting percentage and 44 digs.
- The Blue Jays ended with 43 kills and a .311 hitting percentage.
- Rae Andrews registered her first collegiate double-double with a career-high 10 kills and 12 digs.
- Maura Rabun added seven kills, while Taylor Jackson and Kelly Herr contributed six and five, respectively.
- Jill Reando dished out a season-high 27 assists.
- Defensively, Megan Schaller was one off her season-high with 17 digs.
- The Blue Jays were led by the Eryka Wanyoni's 11 kills and .375 hitting percentage.
- Ashley Kistaitis added 10, while Natalie Needy finished with nine kills and a match-high .643 hitting percentage.
- Setter Teresa Becker added a match-high 39 assists.
- Defensively, Becker and Erica Scharder tied with eight digs each.
The team returns to action on the road this weekend for three matches. First-up on Friday night the Griffins take on Eureka. First-service at 7 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the women's volleyball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).