The Fontbonne University athletic department sponsors a student-athlete advisory committee (SAAC), which is made up of student-athletes assembled to act as a liaison between Athletic Department administrators and student-athletes, promoting efficient communication and offering insight into ways to improve the student-athlete experience on campus, in the St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SLIAC) and in the NCAA Division III. The committee includes at least two representatives from each of Fontbonne’s 17 sponsored sports and is committed to the integrity of Fontbonne morals and ethics as well as the following qualities that make up SLIAC values: Sportsmanship, Leadership, Integrity, Attitude and Competition.
The committee seeks to enhance the student-athlete experience by examining issues on campus, in the community and on the field. Some of the objectives of SAAC include:
- Generate a student-athlete voice within Fontbonne’s campus on academics, facility or team issues and general student-athlete concerns
- Solicit student-athlete response to proposed NCAA legislation and SLIAC policies
- Help members develop leadership skills to serve as role models on their respective teams
- Actively promote Fontbonne athletics
- Promote a positive student-athlete image
- Promote and participate in student-athlete community service projects
- Special Olympic and cancer awareness initiatives
Fontbonne SAAC comes together as a whole at least twice a semester with subgroups meeting as needed to discuss or organize specific events. The committee is also part of the SLIAC SAAC, which is comprised of a SAAC group from each of the conference’s 10 participating institutions. The SLIAC SAAC meets once a semester for discussions and deliberations on NCAA policies, sportsmanship and community involvements. Current Fontbonne SAAC board members include president Lynsey Wehrenberg (women’s volleyball) and vice-president Mike Picciolo (men’s lacrosse).
For more information about Fontbonne’s SAAC, contact Danielle Donze at firstname.lastname@example.org