Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Two Late Second Half Goals Lift Tigers Past Griffins

Photo credit: Sports Information Graduate Assistant, Kylie Lang
Photo credit: Sports Information Graduate Assistant, Kylie Lang

ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The Fontbonne University men's soccer team returned home on Saturday afternoon to take on the Iowa Wesleyan Tigers and it was the Tigers spoiling the return with the 2-0 win.

Final: Iowa Wesleyan 2, Fontbonne 0

Location: Centene Stadium

Records: Iowa Wesleyan (4-8-1; 3-0 SLIAC), Fontbonne (1-11-1; 0-3 SLIAC)

How It Happened

In the first half, the Griffins owned a 10-8 advantage in the shot department, but Trevor Haasis kept Fontbonne from finding twine with his five saves to keep it a scoreless contest at the break.

In the second, Charles Gibbs had a chance for goal in the 46th minute but Haasis once again came away with the save. It continued to be a scoreless outing until the 75th minute. Xavier Lozada got the loose ball at the top of the box and he beat Griffins goalie, Eric Volk, into the bottom left corner of the net to make it a 1-0 game.

The Griffins had another chance in the 88th minute to tie the game, though Brandon Baumgartner's shot attempt from outside the box went just wide. The Tigers went on to add another late goal to give them the shutout win.

Fontbonne Leaders

  • The Griffins finished with 18 shots.
  • Mike Massay totaled a team-high four shots.
  • In net, Eric Volk made seven saves.

Iowa Wesleyan Leaders

  • Iowa Wesleyan ended with 26 shots, including 18 coming in the second half.
  • Francisco Javier Saldana had a game-high five shots.
  • In net, Trevor Haasis totaled nine saves.

Up Next

The Griffins will stay at home on Tuesday when they'll host Blackburn. Kick-off slated for 6 p.m.

Fans make sure to stay updated on throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's soccer team.

Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).