PLATTEVILLE, Wis.—The Fontbonne University men's soccer team took on No. 20-ranked Wisconsin-Platteville on Sunday afternoon and it was the Pioneers coming away with the 4-0 win.
Final: No. 20 Wisconsin-Platteville 4, Fontbonne 0
Location: Platteville, Wis.
Records: No. 20 Wisconsin-Platteville 1-0-1, Fontbonne 0-2
How It Happened
The Pioneers outshot the Griffins 5-1 in the first 10 minutes of action. Then, at the 11:44 mark, Cayden Carlson netted his first goal on the season to give them the 1-0 lead.
In the 29th minute, the Griffins had a chance to tie the game as they were awarded a penalty-kick after a foul in the box. However, Nate Miller stopped Brandon Baumgartner's attempt to keep the Pioneers on top at the break.
In the 61st minute, the Pioneers struck again with Brendan Carr finding Jack Gentilli and he went on to score his first on the year to make it 2-0. From there, the Pioneers were able to tack on two more goals for the shutout win.
- Fontbonne was limited to two shots offensively.
- In net, Ethan Cowell got his first start in net with Fontbonne and made a season-high 11 saves.
- The Pioneers concluded with 24 shots, including 16 coming in the second half.
- Carlson, Gentilli, Nate Staral, and Boston Riley each netted a goal.
- Nate Miller got the win after making two saves.
The Griffins return to action the road against Harris-Stowe on September 5th. Kick-off at 3:30 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's soccer team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).