ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The Fontbonne University women's volleyball team battled back from two sets down against Blackburn on Tuesday night, though the Beavers fended off Fontbonne in the fifth set for the win.
Final: Blackburn 3, Fontbonne 2 (25-22, 25-21, 21-25, 18-25, 15-12)
Records: Blackburn (9-16; 8-9 SLIAC), Fontbonne (4-22; 4-11 SLIAC)
Prior to the contest, the Griffins honored its four seniors Megan Schaller, Emma Seiz, Maura Rabun, and Andrea Wiele. The team also honored Schaller for her 1,000th career dig and Abby Grumich for her 1,000 career assist.
How It Happened
In the first set, the Beavers grabbed a 13-9 lead on a Fontbonne attack error. Later, however, the Griffins evened it up, 19-19, on Jessica Molden's kill. The Beavers, though were able to regain the lead on Elizabeth Bowyer's kill and a Griffins attack error.
Out of a timeout, the Beavers were able to hang on for the 25-22 win on Lucy Magnussen's kill.
In the second set, the Beavers were in control with a 16-10 lead on Kendall Burleyson's kill. From there, though the Griffins chipped away at the lead and eventually trailed, 23-20, on Rae Andrews' kill. Blackburn spoiled the comeback and hung on for the 25-21 win.
In the third, the two teams met-up at 12-12 on Andrews kill. Fontbonne stretched its lead out to 20-16 but a quick 3-0 run by the Beavers had them right back in it.
Fontbonne kept its composure and closed out the set on a 5-1 run as Maura Rabun's kill gave them the 25-20 victory.
The Griffins carried that momentum into the fourth set as they owned a 14-11 lead on a Blackburn attack error and that forced them to take a timeout. The team expanded its lead out to 22-15 and never looked back for the 25-18 win to force a fifth and final set.
In the finale, in the race to eight the Beavers got there first on a block assist from Kasey Bean and Bowyer to make it an 8-4 contest.
The Griffins kept on battling and were down one, 13-12, on Olivia Tallo's kill. However, kills from Kaitlyn Wiegand and Burleyson secured the 15-12 set and match win for Blackburn.
Inside The Numbers
- The Griffins set season-highs in kills (64), assists (60), and service aces (13).
- The Beavers ended with 53 kills and a .201 hitting percentage.
- Defensively, they came away with 86 digs and 22 block assists.
- Kaitlyn Wiegand led with 14 kills and five block assists. Kasey Bean and Bowyer contributed 13 and 10 kills, respectively.
- Burleyson earned a double-double with 40 assists and 17 digs.
- Defensively, Amanda Swedberg collected a match-high 29 digs.
- Rabun had a senior night to remember with a match and career-high 18 kills to finish with a .417 hitting percentage.
- Andrews made it 10 double-doubles on the year with 16 kills and 15 digs.
- Olivia Tallo posted a season-high 11 kills and .269 hitting percentage.
- Grumich earned her fifth double-double with a career-high 51 assists and 13 digs.
- Schaller ended her night with a team-high 24 digs.
The Griffins are right back at it tomorrow night when they'll visit rival Webster. First-service at 7 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the women's volleyball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).