ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The Fontbonne University women's volleyball team jumped out of conference play on Friday night and took on the Wisconsin-Stout Blue Devils at WashU. The Blue Devils were able to come away with the straight set win.
Final: Wisconsin-Stout 3, Fontbonne 0 (25-9, 25-18, 25-14)
Records: Wisconsin-Stout 16-6, Fontbonne 2-15
How It Happened
In the first set, a kill from Abby Grumich put Fontbonne down 10-7. However, the Blue Devils closed out the set on a 15-2 run, including collecting the final seven points for the 25-9 win.
In the second, the Griffins grabbed a 13-12 lead on a Wisconsin-Stout service error. The Blue Devils gained some breathing room at 19-15, but Fontbonne battled back to make it 20-18. However, Wisconsin-Stout closed out the set on a 5-0 run for the 25-18 victory.
In the third, the Griffins opened with a 6-4 lead, but the blue Devils responded with a 7-0 run. They expanded the advantage out to 17-10 and never looked back for the 25-14 set and match win.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne finished with 20 kills and 25 errors for a negative -.048 hitting percentage.
- The Blue Devils ended with 38 kills and a .243 hitting percentage.
- Defensively, they came away with 53 digs.
- Lydia Kneubuehl led with 10 kills and a .444 hitting percentage.
- Lexie Nelson and Jessica Duval combined for 31 of the 34 assists.
- Defensively, Steph Cannon contributed a match-high 20 digs.
The Griffins return to action tomorrow morning as they'll host its Quad against MacMurray at 11 a.m., and Spalding at 1 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the women's volleyball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).