Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Griffins And Grizzlies Battle To 1-1 (2 OT) Draw; Cardwell Scores Second On Season

Griffins And Grizzlies Battle To 1-1 (2 OT) Draw; Cardwell Scores Second On Season

ST. LOUIS, Mo.— It was an off-and-on rainy night at Centene Stadium, though despite the rain, the Fontbonne University women's soccer team and the Franklin Grizzlies battled to a 1-1 (2 OT) draw.

The Griffins (1-2-1), compiled 20 shots on the evening and were led by Daniele Caruso's six. Emily Cardwell, meanwhile, found twine for the second time this season. In net, Makayla Hussong made some key saves late in the game, finishing with a career-high 10 saves.

Franklin (1-0-1), ended with 21 shots. Maddie Fleet led the offense with a goal on eight shots. In goal, Lexi Short got the start and made eight saves.

It was an aggressive start by the Griffins in the opening frame. The team spread the ball well and kept the Grizzlies defense on its heels.

Less than seven minutes in, Molly Kovarik crossed the ball over into the box for Cardwell. She got a shot off, but Short made the save. However, the ball got behind her and Cardwell followed her shot, and scored to make it a 1-0 game.

The Griffins continued its offensive pressure having nine shot attempts the rest of the way, though Short kept the deficit at 1-0 for Franklin at the break.

In the second half, a foul was called on the Griffins inside the box at the 55:12 mark. Fleet stepped to the dot and beat Hussong to her left, tying the game at 1-1.

At 70:27, a loss ball found the foot of Maddie Tague and her shot from 30-plus yards out went off the crossbar. The Griffins had one more chance at 87:03, though Caruso's shot went just wide right and it was off to overtime.

In the first OT, the Grizzlies outshot the Griffins 5-1, but neither team scored the game-winner so 10:00 more minutes were needed.

In the final OT, Sydney Secrest and Caruso each had scoring opportunities in the first few minutes, only to see both respective shot attempts get saved. Both teams tied with two shots a piece in the final frame and it ended as a 1-1 draw.

The Griffins return to action tomorrow night against Claremont-M-S. Kick-off is set for 7 p.m., from Centene Stadium.

Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).