ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The Fontbonne University women's basketball team snapped its three-game slide with an impressive 73-62 win over Eureka.
Final: Fontbonne 73, Eureka 62
Records: Fontbonne (5-8; 4-2 SLIAC), Eureka (8-6; 4-2 SLIAC)
How It Happened
In the first quarter, the Griffins jumped out to a commanding 10-1 lead on Jillian Venegas' 3-pointer at the 7:08 mark. The Red Devils went on a 15-6 run over the next six minutes to trim the deficit down to 16-11 with 47.0 seconds remaining.
Prior to the quarter ending, though Kourtney White made her bucket and got fouled on the play. She went on to make the free throw to give Fontbonne an eight-point lead at the break.
In the second, White got the offensive board off a Griffins miss and scored the put-back to give them a 25-19 lead with 5:47 remaining.
Later, Rylee Stafford hit her 3-pointer to give Fontbonne a 28-21 advantage, however, the Red Devils answered with an 8-0 run to grab a 31-30 lead on Whitney Bozarth's bucket with 2:03 to go. The Griffins gathered themselves and closed out the quarter on a 6-0 run to lead 36-31 at the break.
In the third, the Griffins led 45-40 on Raven Venegas' made layup at the 5:16 mark. The team went on a 5-0 run with Stafford's 3-pointer and Haley Buscher's made free throws giving them a 50-40 lead. The Red Devils responded with a 10-0 run over the next two minutes with Marissa Murphy's free throws tying it up once again at 50-50.
Fontbonne once again closed out on another rally, this time around a 4-0 run, with Raven Venegas making two free throws and Buscher knocking in her layup to give them a 54-50 lead heading into the fourth.
In the fourth, the Griffins continued to maintain its lead and expanded it out to 66-54 on Stafford's made layup with 3:07 left in regulation. With the team shooting 54.5 percent from the floor they were able to go on for the 11-point win.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne finished with a 44.1 field goal percentage and outrebounded the Red Devils, 34-28.
- Eureka concluded with a 39.7 field goal percentage and went just 4-of-16 from beyond-the-arc.
- Olivia Falls led Eureka with a team-high 14 points on 5-of-7 shooting.
- Ja'Keesha Hawkins added 13 points, while Marissa Murphy totaled 11 points and five steals off the bench.
- Rylee Stafford led the floor tying her season-high with a game-high 24 points on 9-of-15 shooting.
- Mallory Proffer was the final player in double-figures with 11.
- Raven Venegas finished with eight points but pulled down a season-high 13 rebounds.
- Each Griffin that appeared in the game contributed at least one point
The Griffins will now head on the road next week for another key conference outing against Westminster on Wednesday. Tip-off at 5:30 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the women's basketball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).