ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The Fontbonne University women's basketball team suffered its first conference loss on Saturday afternoon as they fell 83-72 against Webster.
Final: Webster 83, Fontbonne 72
Location: St. Louis, Mo.
Records: Webster (5-6; 3-1 SLIAC), Fontbonne (4-7; 3-1 SLIAC)
How It Happened
In the first quarter, the Griffins grabbed a 9-8 lead at the 5:29 mark on Mallory Proffer's 3-pointer. Webster regained the lead and stretched it out to 16-11 three minutes later on Taylor Zarr's made jumper.
Fontbonne closed out the quarter, though on a 4-1 run with Raven Venegas hitting her jumper just before the horn sounded to cut the deficit down to 17-15.
In the second quarter, the Gorloks scored the first four points to lead 21-15 on Addison Beussink's jumper. At the 8:38 mark, Rylee Stafford drained her 3-pointer to put Fontbonne down 23-22.
However, the Gorloks gained some separation between themselves and the Griffins with a 13-0 run in four minutes and six seconds time to own a 14-point advantage.
Fontbonne answered those final minutes going on a 13-6 run of its own, with eight of those points coming from Raven Venegas to put the Griffins down just 42-36 at the break. Both teams shot 50.0 percent from the floor in the second quarter and Raven Venegas dominated going 5-of-7 totaling 12 points in seven minutes of play.
In the third, the Gorloks expanded its lead back out to 10 (49-39) with 8:02 remaining on Jaysea Morgan's made layup. Despite the Griffins efforts, the Gorloks held onto its lead the rest of the way and headed into the fourth on top, 64-53.
In the finale, a 3-pointer from Proffer trimmed the Webster lead down to 72-64 with 6:54 remaining. Raven Venegas added a buck with 58.0 seconds left to make it a 79-71 contest, but the Gorloks connected on four late free throws to secure the 11-point win.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne finished with a 41.1 field goal percentage and made 20 free throws.
- Defensively, they forced 23 Webster turnovers.
- The Gorloks ended with a 47.3 field goal percentage and went 25-of-32 from the charity-stripe.
- Webster outrebounded Fontbonne, 40-29.
- Raven Venegas led with a game and season-high 22 points on 9-of-16 shooting. She also tied with a game-high seven rebounds and dished out four assists.
- Rylee Stafford contributed 17 points on 5-of-11 shooting.
- Mallory Proffer added 11 points on 4-of-5 shooting, including going 3-of-4 from downtown.
- All five Webster starters reached double-figures led by Jaysea Morgan's 18 points on 7-of-11 shooting.
- Naomi Johnson finished with 12 points and Hannah Cottrell ended with 11.
- Addison Beussink and Julie Baudendistel finished with 10 points each.
The Griffins look for a bounce back win on Wednesday night when they'll travel to Spalding. Tip-off at 5:30 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates on the women's basketball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).