KENOSHA, Wis.—The No. 2-seeded Fontbonne University men's volleyball team punched its ticket to the MCVL Championship Game on Saturday after a four-set win over Loras on Friday night.
Score: Fontbonne 3, Loras 1 (28-26, 23-25, 25-20, 25-23)
Location: Kenosha, Wis.
Records: Fontbonne 24-2, Loras 21-7
How It Happened
In the first set, the Griffins opened with a 17-14 lead on Mark Klusman's kill. The Duhawks kept battling and eventually took the lead at 23-22 on Mihajlo Gomez's kill and that forced the Griffins to take a timeout.
Out of the break, the two teams went point-for-point meeting up at 26-26. Then, back-to-back kills from Klusman gave Fontbonne the opening 28-26 win.
In the second set, the Griffins were in control with a 17-9 lead on Brendon Schwartze's kill. Loras, though kept chipping away at the deficit and eventually tied it at 22-22 on Gomez's kill.
They met-up once more at 23-23, but a kill from Gomez and a service ace from Jeffrey Budz evened up the match at 1-1 after the 25-23 win.
In the third, the Griffins once again grabbed a 17-15 lead on Josh Farley's kill. The team never relinquished its advantage from there as a block assist from Emir Hadzisalihovic and Klusman, along with a service ace from Klusman gave Fontbonne the 25-23 win.
In the fourth, the back-and-forth play continued, but the Griffins still held a marginal 19-17 lead. Later in the set, a kill from Farley put Fontbonne on top 24-20. However, the Duhawks made it interesting with three straight points. The Griffins were able to finish off the set and the match on Braden Woolsey's kill for the 25-23 set and match win.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne set new season-high marks in kills (59) and assists (57).
- The team finished with a .229 hitting percentage.
- Defensively, the totaled 14 block assists and 12 overall blocks.
- The Duhawks ended with 48 kills and a .176 hitting percentage.
- They came away with 50 digs and 14 block assists.
- Klusman led with 18 kills, seven digs, two solo blocks, and five block assists.
- Farley ended with 12 kills and a .156 hitting percentage.
- Hadzisalihovic posted 11 kills and a .400 hitting percentage.
- Schwartze contributed nine kills and eight digs, while Woolsey had eight kills and a match-high six block assists.
- Kyler van Rossum-O'Connell dished out a season-high 53 assists and collected his seventh double-double with 12 digs.
- Zach Rothstein tied with 12 digs.
- Gomez had a match-high 20 kills and .368 hitting percentage.
- Grant Ooms concluded with 11 kills and 16 digs.
- Setter Patrick Hollander handed out 42 assists.
The Griffins will take on No. 1 Carthage tomorrow for the MCVL Championship after the Red Men swept No. 4 North Central. First-service at 3 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's volleyball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).