OLIVET, Mich.—The (RV) Fontbonne University men's volleyball team cruised past Olivet College in straight sets on Friday night.
Score: Fontbonne 3, Olivet 0 (25-7, 25-23, 25-11)
Location: Olivet, Mich.
Records: Fontbonne 22-2 (6-2 MCVL), Olivet 3-16 (1-7 MCVL)
How It Happened
The Griffins played a near perfect first set with the team totaling 11 kills and one error for a .476 hitting percentage. The Comets, meanwhile, had its struggles offensively with five kills and 12 errors for a negative -.219 hitting percentage and that allowed the Griffins to go on for the 25-7 win.
It was a different story in the second set with Olivet opening a 12-8 lead on Dan Hayes' kill. The team held a 20-17 lead, until the Griffins went on a 5-0 run to regain a 22-20 advantage on a block assist from Emir Hadzisalihovic and Brendon Schwartze. From there, the Griffins fended off Olivet for the 25-23 win.
In the third, the Griffins grabbed a 10-6 lead on Cameron Way's service ace. They cruised from there as they outscored the Comets 15-5 for the 25-11 set and match win.
Inside The Box Score
- The Griffins compiled 37 kills and a .333 hitting percentage.
- Defensively, they came away with 44 digs and 14 block assists.
- The Comets never got it going offensively with 24 kills and 25 errors for a negative -.010 hitting percentage.
- Mark Klusman led with a match-high 11 kills.
- Hadzisalihovic added seven kills and a match-high .875 hitting percentage. Schwartze contributed seven kills and a .375 hitting percentage.
- Braden Woolsey added six kills, a .750 hitting percentage, and a team-high four block assists.
- Kyler van Rossum-O'Connell handed out 34 assists, while Way led with 11 digs.
- Brock Pringle posted nine kills and a .120 hitting percentage.
- Tanner Gardenour led with 10 digs.
- The Griffins close out the regular season tomorrow and look to lock up the No. 2 seed in the MCVL Tournament as they'll take on Adrian. First-service at 12 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's volleyball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).