ROCK ISLAND, Ill.—The Fontbonne University men's volleyball team saw its unbeaten streak get snapped in a five-set thriller against Augustana on Sunday afternoon.
Final: Augustana 3, Fontbonne 2 (25-23, 24-26, 16-25, 25-22, 14-16)
Location: Rock Island, Ill.
Records: Augustana 7-9 (2-0 MCVL), Fontbonne 13-1 (1-1 MCVL)
How It Happened
In the first set, after a block assist put the Vikings down 14-12, the Griffins answered with a 4-0 run as a kill from Brendon Schwartze made it an 18-12 contest. Later, the Vikings tried to get back in it as Jason Szara's kill made it 24-23, but Mark Klusman finished it off with a kill of his own for the 25-23 victory.
In the second, the two teams went back-and-forth early but it was the Vikings owning a 16-14 lead on Jason Szara's block. Fontbonne once again responded with a 4-0 run to retake the lead at 18-16.
The Griffins were still leading 24-22 on Emir Hadzisalihovic's kill, however, kills from Dylan Baum, Gary Dodovich, Caleb Minnis, and a block assist from Justin Murphy and Minnis gave the Vikings the 26-24 win.
In the third, the Vikings came out fast with an 11-3 lead on Szara's kill. With Fontbonne being limited to just eight kills in the set and Augustana countered with 16, the Vikings were able to go on for the 25-16 victory.
In the fourth, it was Augustana trying to pull away with a 20-16 lead on Sanchit Khaitan's service ace. Fontbonne, though got it down to 21-20 on a Vikings attack error. Augustana answered with a kill, but that'd be the last point of the set as Fontbonne finished it out on a 5-0 run for the 25-22 win.
In the fifth, in the race to the eighth point before switching sides, the Vikings got there first with an 8-6 lead on Dylan Baum's kill. Fontbonne went on to retake the lead at 11-10 on a block assist from Klusman and Braden Woolsey.
The team was match-point away at 14-13 on Hadzisalihovic's kill, but the Vikings closed out the set and the match on a 3-0 run for the 16-14 set and match win.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne set new season-high marks in kills (55), attacks (170), assists (51), digs (68), solo blocks (seven), and total blocks (13).
- Augustana compiled 68 kills and a .203 hitting percentage. They also finished with 75 digs and 21 block assists.
- Hadzisalihovic, Klusman, and Farley all totaled 12 kills. Klusman also collected 11 digs.
- Brendon Schwartze had a strong game with 10 kills and a .267 hitting percentage.
- Kyler van Rossum-O'Connell earned his third double-double with new season-high marks in assists (46) and digs (15). He's just 53 shy from becoming the all-time leader in career assists.
- Szara led with a match-high 18 kills and a .444 hitting percentage.
- Baum and Ryan Hirschel recorded a double-double. Baum had 13 kills and 12 digs, while Hirschel added 11 and 13.
- Hirschel also led in the assist department with 31 and Matthew Schiferl finished with a match-high 20 digs.
- The Griffins will now head to New York for three games and first-up is Hunter on Tuesday at 5 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's volleyball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).