ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The Fontbonne University men's soccer team fell 2-0 against Webster on Saturday afternoon.
Final: Webster 2, Fontbonne 0
Location: World Wide Technology Soccer Park
Records: Webster (8-5-1; 2-3 SLIAC), Fontbonne (2-12-1; 1-4 SLIAC)
How It Happened
In the first half, the Gorloks outshot Fontbonne 13-5 but neither team was able to find the back of the net. Eric Volk made four saves in the first frame, while Matt Coffey ended with one for Webster.
In the second half, the Griffins had an opportunity just 59.0 seconds in, though Brandon Baumgartner's attempt was saved by Coffey.
In the 63rd minute, a foul was called on Fontbonne inside the box and a penalty-kick was awarded to Webster. Hunter Olaso took advantage and scored to give them a 1-0 lead. In the 78th minute, the Gorloks tacked on another to put them on top, 2-0 and that proved to be enough for Webster to go on for the shutout win.
- The Griffins finished with eight shots.
- Andres Castro led with three.
- Volk made a season-high 10 saves in net.
- The Gorloks concluded with 29 shots.
- Matt Ceriotti finished with a game-high four.
- Isaac Pearson, Justin Kohler, Joacquin Soto, Edin Mehmedovic, and Logan Takizawa had three each.
- In net, Coffey made three saves.
The Griffins return home on Tuesday night when they'll take on Principia. Kick-off at 6 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's soccer team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).