LEAVENWORTH Kan.—The Fontbonne University men's lacrosse team returned to action for the first time in over two weeks on Tuesday. The Griffins, though fell 15-7 against NAIA University of Saint Mary Spires, 15-7.
Final: Saint Mary 15, Fontbonne 7
Location: Leavenworth, Kan.
Records: Saint Mary 1-2, Fontbonne 0-2
How It Happened
After the Spires grabbed the 1-0 lead at the 12:17 mark, the Griffins answered back four and half minutes later with Connor Mallett scoring his second on the season, off an assist from Brian Nguyen, to make it a 1-1 game.
However, the Spires responded with four consecutive goals over the final seven minutes to give them a 5-1 lead going into the second.
In the second, the Griffins got one of those goals back as Michael Picciolo found Nguyen who scored to cut the deficit down to 5-2. The Spires, though outshot Fontbonne 7-4 in the frame and scored four more times to make it 9-2 at the break.
In the third, the Spires offense continued rolling with four goals over the next 14:00 minutes to extend its advantage out to 13-2. Prior to the quarter ending, however, the Griffins won the face-off at 1:41 and eventually got a goal from Picciolo.
In the fourth, the Griffins got goals from Matt Rech, Picciolo, and Mallett (two), but the comeback was not to be with the Spires hanging on for the win.
Inside The Numbers
- The Spires won the face-off battle with a 17-9 advantage.
- Fontbonne totaled 15 shots and went 6-of-7 on its clear attempts.
- The Spires countered with 29 shots and 6-of-7 on its clear attempts as well.
- Mallett led with a career-high three goal performance.
- Picciolo netted two goals and chipped in an assist.
- Nguyen scored a goal and led with two assists.
- In goal, Dalton Deague made seven saves.
St. Mary Spires Leaders
- Tyler French led them offensively with a game-high four goals and five assists.
- Seth Arangua and Logan Lund scored three goals each.
- In net, Zander Smith got the win with four saves.
The Griffins return to action at home this weekend when they'll take on Hendrix at 12 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's lacrosse team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).