Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Griffins Bounce Back With Victory Over Beavers

Photo credit: Anthony LaRocca
Photo credit: Anthony LaRocca

ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The Fontbonne University men's basketball team bounced back in a big way on Wednesday night with an 80-77 win over Blackburn to split the regular season series.

With the game tied at 75-75, the Griffins had the ball with under a minute left. Luke DeLine missed his 3-point attempt, but Carter Otwell went to work down low as he grabbed the offensive board and scored the put-back to give Fontbonne a 77-75 lead with 35.0 seconds remaining.

After Blackburn missed its game tying attempt with 10.0 seconds left, the Griffins got a bucket from Jared Woodcock to put Fontbonne ahead 79-75.

The Beavers tried to make it interesting late, but the Griffins were able to fend off the comeback attempt for the three-point win.

The Griffins (9-13; 7-8 SLIAC), finished with a 46.7 field goal percentage and they were led by Jared Woodcock's double-double performance of 20 points and 11 boards. Otwell netted 13 points, while Gus Kleekamp and Luke DeLine had 12 and 10 points, respectively.

The Beavers (11-10; 8-7 SLIAC), shot 35.6 percent from the field and drained 14 3-pointers. Karson Hayes had himself an evening with a game-high 30 points on 10-of-22 shooting.

In the first, the Griffins opened with an 18-13 lead at the 10:47 mark. Over the next four minutes, the Beavers hung around and eventually took a 24-23 lead on Hayes' 3-pointer at 6:29.

The two teams flip-flopped lead changes four times as the clock continued to tick away, but a bucket from Caden Clark gave Fontbonne a 33-32 lead with 2:05 to go, which made it five lead changes in four minutes.

The team closed out the final two minutes on a 6-0 run and headed into the locker room on top, 39-32. Fontbonne shot 46.4 percent from the field and were led by DeLine's nine points.

In the second, the Beavers came out on fire going 7-of-10 from the field in four minutes and thirty two seconds to grab a 50-45 advantage on Chanz Aldridge's 3-pointer.

With 12:54 left in regulation, the Beavers got a 3-pointer from Hayes to make it a 55-51 outing. However, Fontbonne answered with a 10-0 run in just two minutes and 32 seconds to take a 61-55 lead on Kris McCann's layup.

The Beavers went on to regain the lead with 1:51 left on Hayes' jumper, but a 6-0 run by Fontbonne proved to be enough as they went on for the win.

The team returns to action on the road against Eureka on Saturday. Tip-off at 3 p.m.

Fans make sure to stay updated on throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's basketball team.

Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).