ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The Fontbonne University baseball team begins a key three-game stretch this weekend against Webster. The two teams will square off on Saturday at 5 p.m., at GCS Ballpark. On Sunday, they'll meet-up for one nine inning contest at Shaw Park starting at 1 p.m.
Fontbonne (23-9; 10-6 SLIAC) at Webster (24-8; 14-3 SLIAC)
When: April 27th & 28th
Where: GCS Ballpark & Shaw Park
Time: Saturday 5 & 7:30 p.m., Sunday 1 p.m.
Game 1 Video: HERE
Game 1 Stats: HERE
Game 2 Video: HERE
Game 2 Stats: HERE
Game 3 Stats: HERE
A Look At The Griffins
- The Griffins are coming off a 3-2 and 4-2 victories over MacMurray.
- In its last seven, the Griffins are 6-1 and they're batting .358 as a team while the pitching staff has a mere 2.70 ERA.
- Offensively, Matt Tossick leads with a .438 clip and a team-high .550 on-base percentage.
- Matt Manint has stepped up with a .435 average, totaling 10 hits, three doubles, a triple, and eight RBI.
- Jackson Penrod owns a .423 average, while Jonathan Hoevelmann leads the Griffins in hits (12), tied with Tossick in runs scored (nine), and stolen bases (six).
- Michael Puckett, Jr., has brought the power as of late with a .400 average, two homers, 10 RBI and a slugging percentage of .840, all of which are team-high marks. Braeden Dobbs, meanwhile, is batting .393.
- On the bump, Luke Summers leads the staff with a 3-0 record, a 0.82 ERA in 22.0 innings pitched and totaled 30 strikeouts.
- Jake Jump is 2-0 with a 0.93 ERA and 12 strikeouts of his own in 9.2 innings of work. Tyler Heitmann (2.08) and Mike Jacobson (2.25) both have an ERA under 2.50 and have combined for eight strikeouts.
- John Hughes is 1-0 and ranks second on the team with 14 strikeouts.
A Look At The Webster Gorloks
- The Gorloks, who rank fourth in the Central Region, are also ranked 18th in the ABCA/Collegiate Baseball Newspaper Poll, and are receiving votes in the NCBWA/D3Baseball.com Poll.
- The team is rolling as of late with a nine-game winning streak, including 8-2 and 16-0 victories over Greenville last Saturday.
- On the year, they're batting .296 as a team.
- Individually, Ben Swords paces the offense with a team-high 40 hits, to go along with his 34 runs scored, 12 doubles, five homers, 29 RBI and .333 average.
- Nate Tholl is hitting .354 and has 11 doubles of his own. Kyler Kent ranks second on the team in homers (four) and third in both hits (32), and RBI (23).
- A.J. Smith will be another player to look out for with his .323 average, 30 hits, 28 runs scored, three homers, and 21 RBI.
- The pitching staff has a combined 2.47 ERA. Matt Mulhearn is 8-1 thus far in 64.2 innings pitched, totaling 73 strikeouts and a 2.23 ERA.
- Sean Beaver is 4-3 in his eight starts, but does have a 1.95 ERA. Adrian Santiago (1.83 ERA) also has four wins out of the pen and leads the Gorloks with five saves.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the baseball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).