ST. LOUIS, Mo.—After two tough losses yesterday, the Fontbonne University baseball team capped off the series with a dominant 9-0 win over the Webster Gorloks. The victory snaps Webster's 11-game winning streak and it's also the first time in 83 games the Gorloks have been shutout.
Score: Fontbonne 9, Webster 0
Location: Shaw Park
Records: Fontbonne (24-11; 11-8 SLIAC), Webster (26-9; 16-4 SLIAC)
How It Happened
The Griffins got on the board and put the game away in the fifth. Jonathan Hoevelmann led off with a single. After a couple strikeouts, Braeden Dobbs worked a walk and Michael Pucket, Jr., kept the inning going with an RBI single to give them a 1-0 lead.
Matt Tossick followed with an RBI single of his own to plate Dobbs and make it 2-0. Then, an error by the Gorloks third baseman, plated Puckett, Jr., to extend the advantage to 3-0. Tyler Grimes finished the inning off with a bases clearing two RBI single to enter.
In the fourth, Hoevelmann sent a no-doubter over the left field wall to lead off the inning, his third homer on the season, to put Fontbonne ahead 6-0. Two batters later, Dobbs hit his first homer on the year to center.
With Luke Summers on the bump that was plenty of room to work with as the junior hurler didn't allow a hit after the fourth inning and with the offense scoring two more in the eighth, the Griffins went on for the nine-run win.
- Summers tossed his first nine-inning complete game on the year and picked up his 10th win in the process. It's the fourth time in the last five starts the hurler has totaled at least 10 strikeouts.
- Dobbs led the offense going 3-for-3 with two runs scored and two RBI. He's also reached base safely in his last 24.
- Hoevelmann went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and an RBI.
- Tossick also totaled two hits and an RBI.
- Gus Purschke and Tyler Grimes contributed a hit and two RBI each.
- Starter Brendan May fell to 3-1 on the season after allowing five runs (two earned) in 2.2 innings pitched.
- A.J. Smith led the offense with two hits.
- The Griffins return to the diamond on Wednesday at home when they'll take on Missouri S&T. First-pitch at 1 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the baseball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).