ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The Fontbonne University baseball team improved to 5-0 on the year after plating a season-high 10 runs in the 10-3 win over Nebraska Wesleyan to close out the series.
Final: Fontbonne 10, Neb. Wesleyan 3
Location: St. Charles, Mo. (CarShield Field)
Records: Fontbonne 5-0, Neb. Wesleyan (0-5)
How It Happened
The Griffins got on the board first in the home half to start the game. Braeden Dobbs registered a two out RBI single, allowing Tyler Chambliss, who reached base on a one out walk, to come on home and make it a 1-0 game.
The team added another run in the third, but the Prairie Wolves got one of those back on an RBI single from Aaron Nichols. In the bottom of the fourth, though the Griffins answered right back.
After Gunnison Heine scored on a wild pitch and Jack Little touched home on a bases loaded walk, Lance Chapman stepped in. The St. Mary, Mo., native, hit a single to center to plate Jackson Penrod and Chambliss to extend the lead out to 6-1.
The run parade carried over into the fifth with the team bringing home four more runs on RBI from Hoevelmann, Penrod, Dobbs, and Chapman to give them a 10-1 advantage.
- John Hughes picked up his first win on the year after going 5.0 innings, allowing three runs (two earned) and striking out one.
- Chapman totaled two hits for the third straight game and finished with a season-high four RBI.
- Dobbs contributed a season-high three RBI.
- Hoevelmann, Chambliss, Penrod, Dobbs, and Heine had a hit each.
- Hoevelmann has reached base in all five games thus far.
Neb. Wesleyan Notables
- Trey Pavlik took the loss after allowing two runs in 3.0 innings of work.
- Spencer Sheer led at the plate with two hits and an RBI.
The Griffins will now head down the street on Wednesday to take on WashU. First-pitch at 2 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the baseball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).