ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The Fontbonne University women's volleyball team traveled down the road to take on rival Webster in its Dig Pink outing and the Gorloks came away with the straight set win.
Final: Webster 3, Fontbonne 0 (25-12, 25-18, 25-11)
Location: Grant Gymnasium
Records: Webster (15-10; 12-4 SLIAC), Fontbonne (4-23; 4-12 SLIAC)
How It Happened
In the first set, a kill from Emma Seiz tied it up at 8-8. The Gorloks went on a 6-0 run to gain the 14-8 lead and closed out the set from there on a 11-4 run en route to the 25-12 win.
After trailing 11-5 early in the second, the Griffins got the deficit down to 11-8 on Gorlok attack error. Webster pushed its lead out to 24-13 but the Griffins continued to battle back and eventually trimmed it down to 24-18. However, the Gorloks finished the set off on Samantha Kruse's kill for the 25-18 win.
In the third, the Gorloks opened with a commanding 15-4 lead. It was all Webster the rest of the way as they went on for the 25-11 set and match win.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne finished with 25 kills and 26 errors for a negative -.008 hitting percentage.
- Webster ended with 36 kills and a .260 hitting percentage.
- Defensively, they accumulated 58 digs and 12 block assists.
- Olivia Tallo led with eight kills. Rae Andrews added six and Maura Rabun contributed five.
- Setter Abby Grumich led with 11 assists.
- Defensively, Megan Schaller had a team-high 11 digs.
- Jordan Price owned a match-high 11 kills and a .500 hitting percentage.
- Jenna Rodriguez handed out a match-high 19 assists.
- Kristen Farrah posted a match-high 19 digs.
The Griffins close out its 2019 season this Saturday at Webster when they'll take on Iowa Wesleyan at 11 a.m., and Eureka at 1 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the women's volleyball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).