ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The Fontbonne University women's volleyball team snapped its five-game slide with an impressive sweep over Principia on Tuesday night.
Final: Fontbonne 3, Principia 0 (25-14, 25-17, 25-23)
Records: Fontbonne (2-14; 2-5 SLIAC), Principia (4-11; 1-5 SLIAC)
How It Happened
In the first set, the Griffins opened with a 10-7 lead on a Panthers service error. Later, up 13-11, the team went on a 5-0 run to gain some breathing room at 18-11 on Maura Rabun's kill. It was all Fontbonne the rest of the way for the 25-14 win.
After Fontbonne took a 5-0 lead in the second set, the Panthers gathered themselves and took an 11-10 lead on a Griffins attack error. However, Fontbonne rattled off a 6-0 run, capped off by Rae Andrews kill to give them the 16-11 advantage.
The Panthers stayed within striking distance at 19-17, though the Griffins closed out the set on a 6-0 run for the 25-17 win.
In the third, it was back-and-forth play, but the Griffins took a 12-11 lead on Abby Grumich's kill. The Panthers regained the lead, 16-14, though the Griffins went on a 5-0 run this time around as a kill from Taylor Jackson made it, 19-16.
Fontbonne went on to put away the Panthers on a kill from Andrews and an attack error to give them the 25-22 set and match win.
Inside The Numbers
- The Griffins totaled 37 kills and a .127 hitting percentage.
- They set new season-highs in service aces (11) and digs (82).
- The Panthers were held to 23 kills and came away with 73 digs.
- Jessica Bayne totaled a team and match-high 10 kills.
- Setter Devon Marunde earned a double-double with 18 assists and 10 digs.
- Defenisvely, Amanda Roberts finished with a match-high 22 digs.
- Maura Rabun recorded her second straight double-digit kill outing as she posted a match-high 10. She also committed zero errors on 20 attempts for a .500 hitting percentage.
- Jill Reando was busy on both sides of the net with a season-high six kills and 14 digs. She recorded her second double-double on the year with 18 assists.
- Defensively, Andrews set a career-high with 19 digs. Megan Schaller tied her with 19 digs and Abby Grumich contributed a season-high 11.
The Griffins will head down the road on Friday night to take on Wisconsin-Stout. First-service set for 5 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the women's volleyball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).