LOUISVILLE, Ky.—The Fontbonne University women's volleyball team fell in straight sets against Spalding on Wednesday.
Final: Spalding 3, Fontbonne 0 (25-11, 25-20, 25-9)
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Records: Spalding (5-11; 4-3 SLIAC), Fontbonne 1-13 (1-4 SLIAC)
How It Happened
In the first set, a kill from Jill Reando tied it up at 8-8. The Golden Eagles, though went on a 9-0 run to take the 17-8 lead and went on for the 25-11 opening set victory.
In the second set, it was back-and-forth play early as a kill from Rae Andrews trimmed the deficit down to 12-10. Later, a kill from Maura Rabun put Fontbonne down 18-17. However, the Golden Eagles closed out the set on a 7-3 run for the 25-20 win.
In the third, the Golden Eagles opened with a commanding 10-2 lead on Cassie Jones' kill. It was all Spalding the rest of the way as they won the set and the match, 25-9.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne was limited to 17 kills and a .011 hitting percentage.
- Spalding concluded with 34 kills, a .268 hitting percentage, and 14 service aces.
- Defensively, they accumulated 44 digs.
- Rabun led the Griffins with a team-high seven kills and .375 hitting percentage.
- Jill Reando handed out 13 assists.
- Defensively, Taylor Jackson totaled a team-high seven digs.
- Savannah Kruse earned a match-high eight kills.
- Mya Summers dished out a match-high 17 assists.
- Gabby Ellis led the group on the defensive side of the net with seven digs.
The Griffins return to the court on Saturday when they'll visit Iowa Wesleyan. First-service at 1 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the women's volleyball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).