EUREKA, Ill.—The Fontbonne University women's volleyball team earned its first win on the season after sweeping past Eureka on Friday night.
Final: Fontbonne 3, Eureka 0 (25-10, 25-19, 25-14)
Location: Eureka, Ill.
Records: Fontbonne (1-10; 1-1 SLIAC), Eureka (3-8; 0-3 SLIAC)
How It Happened
In the first set, the Griffins jumped out to a 10-5 lead on a solo block from Emma Seiz. With the team totaling 14 kills and a match-high .385 hitting percentage in the first set, the Griffins cruised to the 25-10 win.
In the second set, the Red Devils opened with a 7-3 lead, but the Griffins responded with a 9-0 run to own a 12-7 advantage. Later in the set, the Griffins were on top 19-13, however, the Red Devils rattled off a 5-0 run of its own to make it 19-18.
Fontbonne was able to gather themselves and close out the set on a 6-1 run as Maura Rabun's kill gave them the 25-19 victory.
In the third, the Griffins took a commanding 11-3 lead on Seiz's kill. Eureka trimmed the deficit down to 14-10, but that'd be as close as they'd get with Fontbonne going on for the 25-14 set and match win.
Inside The Numbers
- The Griffins set season-high marks in kills (39), hitting percentage (.346), assists (35), and service aces.
- The Red Devils totaled 16 kills and 16 errors for a .000 hitting percentage.
- Rae Andrews recorded her second straight double-double with a career-high 13 kills and .385 hitting percentage. Defensively, she added 11 digs.
- Rabun totaled nine kills and had zero attack errors for the second straight game. Her .600 hitting percentage ties a season-high.
- Jessica Molden handed out a career-high 27 assists.
- Defensively, Megan Schaller led with a match-high 15 digs.
- Annaliese Miller led with five kills and a .167 hitting percentage.
- Sara Worrell dished out 13 assists.
- Paige Klingler compiled eight digs.
The Griffins are right back at it tomorrow for two matches. They'll take on Greenville at 11 a.m., and close out its weekend at Eureka against Blackburn at 1 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the women's volleyball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).