ST. MARY OF THE WOODS, Ind.—The Fontbonne University women's volleyball fell in straight sets against St. Mary-of-the-Woods on Friday night.
Final: St. Mary-of-the-Woods 3, Fontbonne 0 (25-18, 25-14, 25-23)
Location: St. Mary of the Woods, Ind.
Records: St. Mary-of-the-Woods 4-8, Fontbonne 0-9
How It Happened
In the first set, a kill from Taylor Jackson put Fontbonne down, 9-8. The Pomeroys extended its advantage out to 18-12 on back-to-back Alexis Woodburn kills and that forced the Griffins to take a timeout.
Out of the break, Fontbonne got to within five at 22-17 on Jackson's kill, but the Pomeroys fended off Fontbonne for the 25-18 win. The Griffins played one of its better sets on the year totaling 11 kills and a .281 hitting percentage.
In the second set, the Pomeroys took a 7-3 lead on Alexis Woodburn's kill. Fontbonne, though kept battling and trimmed to down to 12-11 on a St. Mary-of-the-Woods attack error. However, the Pomeroys finished out the set on a 13-2 run for the 25-14 win.
In the third, it was the Griffins grabbing a 12-10 advantage on Emma Seiz's kill. After the Pomeroys tied it at 16-16, the Griffins regained the lead, 18-17, on a Pomeroys attack error. However, St. Mary-of-the-Woods answered with a 4-0 run. From there, they never relinquished the lead and went on for the 25-23 set and match win.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne finished with 28 kills and a .156 hitting percentage.
- Defensively, the team tied its season-high with eight block assists.
- The Pomeroys concluded with 40 kills and a .317 hitting percentage.
- On the defensive side of the net, they came away with 37 digs and 10 block assists.
- Taylor Jackson led with a career-high nine kills and a .174 hitting percentage.
- Maura Rabun added seven kills and a .238 hitting percentage.
- Jill Reando added 13 assists and Megan Schaller contributed a team-high 10 digs.
St. Mary-of-the-Woods Leaders
- Riley Kinney totaled a match-high nine kills and .294 hitting percentage. Mandi Alspach and Alexis Woodburn had eight kills each.
- Setter Katelyn Cotter dished out a match-high 33 assists and Pamela Dorman compiled a match-high 16 digs.
The Griffins return to action next Wednesday in its first conference outing against Westminster. First-service at 7 p.m., from inside the DSAC.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the women's volleyball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).