Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Griffins Unable To Fend Off Webster On Wednesday

Griffins Unable To Fend Off Webster On Wednesday

WEBSTER GROVES, Mo.—The Fontbonne University women's volleyball team took the opening set against Webster University on Wednesday night, however, the Gorloks won the final three to take the match in four sets (25-23, 23-25, 19-25, 18-25).

Fontbonne (4-11; 3-8 SLIAC), totaled 41 kills in the outing and played well on the defensive side of the net with 82 digs and 12 block assists. Offensively, recorded her second straight double-double and fourth straight game with at least 12 digs, finishing with 11 kills and 15 digs.

Kristina Eason recorded her second double-double in the last three games with 10 kills and 13 digs, while Megan McKenzie concluded with 10 kills as well.

Megan Schaller led with a team-high 20 assists and earned 13 digs of her own, while Sarah Borgerding eclipsed the 20 dig total for the third time this year with 21.

Webster (13-4; 12-1 SLIAC), ended the night with 51 kills, a .123 hitting percentage and 97 digs. Kristen Farrah and Taylor Kissel led with 12 kills each, Jenna Rodriguez totaled 17 assists, while Maria Soffner led the Gorloks defensively with a match-high 23 digs.

In the first set, FBU opened with a 12-10 lead on a kill from Tallo. They held that lead up until the Gorloks retook it at 17-16 on a kill from Ashley Robinson.

Webster was still on top 23-21 until the Griffins eventually tied it at 23-all on consecutive kills from Tallo. Then, an attack error and a kill from Abby Grumich gave FBU the come-from-behind 25-23 win.

In the second set, Fontbonne once again came out fast with a 9-5 lead on a Gorlok attack error. Webster went on to tie at 11-11, however, FBU got the lead back out to 15-12 on McKenzie's kill. Later in the set, they still were on top 20-17 until a 3-0 run by the Gorloks evened it up at 20-all.

The two teams went point-for-point as a kill from Tallo tied it at 23-23. However, Webster collected the final two points on kills from Kissel to give them the 25-23 victory.

In the third, after Webster took the lead out the gate, Fontbonne regrouped and took a 10-9 lead on Emma Seiz's kill. The two teams went on to meet-up at 16-16, but Webster regained the advantage on a Griffins attack error.

From there, the Gorloks closed out the set on an 8-3 run to take a two sets to one lead after winning, 25-19.

In the fourth set, Webster took a 12-7 lead on a service ace from Soffner. FBU stayed within striking distance though at 17-14 on Tallo's kill. Webster, however, gained some breathing room with a 3-0 run to take a 20-14 lead on a Griffins attack error.

Fontbonne tried to get back in at 21-17 on Webster's attack error but that'd be as close as they'd get with the Gorloks hanging on for the 25-18 set and match win.

FBU will be back at it this weekend at WashU in the Active Ankle Invite. The team will take on host WashU on Friday at 5 p.m., followed by a 7 p.m., outing against Thomas More.

Fans make sure to stay updated on throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the women's volleyball team.