Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Women's Soccer Falls 1-0 Against Webster In The SLIAC Championship

Women's Soccer Falls 1-0 Against Webster In The SLIAC Championship

ST. LOUIS, Mo.—For the second straight season, the Fontbonne University women's soccer team and Webster faced off in the SLIAC Championship Game. The Griffins gave everything they had against Webster, however, the Gorloks went on for the 1-0 win.

Fontbonne (11-10), totaled 14 shots in the outing as Daniele Caruso led with a team-high five. Meredith Wendt was busy with her four shots while Ellen Weaver contributed two. In goal, Makayla Hussong kept the Griffins in it with multiple key stops to finish with seven saves.

On the other side of the pitch, Webster (19-1), wins its seconds straight SLIAC Championship and that can be attributed to the game-winning goal off the foot of Melissa Kasper. In net, Aly Miller improved to 9-0 after making five saves.

In the first half, Webster pressured early but the Griffins defense and Hussong were able for the challenge, keeping them off the board.

Then in the 22nd minute, Brianna Pagan stole the ball from an FBU defender and played it forward for Kasper inside the box. She raced towards it and beat the sliding Hussong into the far corner of the net, making it a 1-0 game.

Fontbonne had a chance to answer less than two minutes later. They were awarded a free kick just outside the box and Caruso stepped into one, but Aly Miller came up with the tip save over the crossbar.

In the 26th minute, FBU had another great chance at goal. Off a corner kick from Pate, the ball eventually found Karlie Peth by the near post, however, her shot rolled just wide of the far post.

FBU totaled four more shots the rest of the way but the team were unable to score the equalizer so they headed into the break down, 1-0.

In the second half, Webster had an early shot at goal in the 48th minute but Kelsey Hausmann's shot was saved by Hussong. Then, the Griffins picked up the intensity and had a chance to tie the game in the 55th minute but Wendt's header off a corner kick was caught by Miller on the near post.

Miller came up big in the 59th minute with another foul being called outside the box on Webster. Caruso sent a bouncing shot at Miller but she was in the right place at the right time and came up with the stop.

56.0 seconds later, Ellen Weaver, got the ball near midfield and dribbled towards the top of the box. She sent a low hard shot towards the near post, however, Miller made the diving save.

In the 66th minute, Caruso had another free kick attempt and she ripped another towards Miller. The net-minder though caught the ball on the near post to keep FBU scoreless.

Hussong then came up big as she made key saves in the 79th, 86th and 87th minutes to keep Fontbonne still in it. The Griffins had one final push in them and a key foul was called on Webster.

With the clock ticking away, Caruso had one final chance in hopes of tying the game. Her shot, though went just over the crossbar and that was the team's final attempt with Webster going on for the 1-0 victory.

The Griffins close out the season 11-10 overall and 7-2 in conference play.

Fans make sure to stay updated on throughout the year for full updates on the women's soccer team.