ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The Fontbonne University women's basketball team saw its home opener get spoiled against Rhodes on Saturday afternoon with the Lynx coming away with the 77-71 win.
Final: Rhodes 77, Fontbonne 71
Records: Rhodes 2-3, Fontbonne 1-3
How It Happened
After trailing early 4-2 in the first quarter, the Griffins went on a 7-0 run to gain the 9-4 advantage on Raven Venegas' layup at 6:22. The Griffins maintained its lead the rest of the way as they were on top 14-8 after a quarter of play.
In the second, a 3-pointer from Mallory Proffer gave Fontbonne a 19-10 lead at 7:37. Two minutes and change later, the team kept its nine-point (24-15) lead intact with Stafford draining her 3-pointer and that forced the Lynx coaching staff to take a timeout.
However, the Lynx went on a 13-4 run to gain the 28-27 lead with 45.0 seconds remaining. Prior to the break, Stafford made her jumper to give Fontbonne the one-point advantage at halftime.
In the third, Kiera Downey hit her jumper at the 7:19 mark to give Rhodes a 32-31 lead. The Lynx held onto its marginal lead up until 2:20 when Kourtney White drained her jumper to tie the contest up, 41-41.
The Lynx, though regained the lead on the next possession and fended off Fontbonne the rest of the way to own the 47-45 lead going into the fourth.
The fourth quarter was an offensive surge for both teams as they combined for 56 points. Rhodes went 9-of-12 (75.0 percent) from the field and hit all three of its 3-pointers. Fontbonne, meanwhile, connected on 52.6 percent of its shots and went 6-of-8 from the line.
At the 8:21 mark, the Griffins grabbed the lead back on Madison Boaz hitting a 3-pointer. Three minutes later, a bucket from White put Fontbonne down 60-59. However, the Lynx rattled off an 8-0 run over the next two minutes to take the nine-point lead.
The Griffins got the lead down to 71-67 with 2:05 left but that'd be as close as they'd get with Rhodes hanging on for the six-point win.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne shot a season-high 47.3 percent from the floor and tied its season-high with 37 rebounds.
- The Griffins also dished out a season-high 17 assists.
- Rhodes ended with a 46.0 field goal percentage and pulled down 38 boards.
- Kiera Downey led the floor with a game-high 25 points on 11-of-16 shooting.
- Alyssa Owens added a double-double with 19 points and 10 boards, while Alli Mayeux contributed 12 points and eight rebounds.
- Kourtney White led with a team and career-high 17 points on 7-of-9 shooting. She handed out five assists and collected four rebounds.
- Rylee Stafford just missed out on a double-double with a season-high 13 points and nine rebounds.
- Raven Venegas tied Stafford with 13 points.
The team returns to action on Monday at home when they'll take on No. 3-ranked Wartburg. Tip-off at 4 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates on the women's basketball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).