PLATTEVILLE, Wis.—The Fontbonne University women's basketball team were unable to get its offense going in its 78-29 defeat against Wisconsin-Platteville on Friday night.
Final: Wis-Platteville 78, Fontbonne 29
Location: Platteville, Wis.
Records: Wis-Platteville 3-0, Fontbonne 1-2
How It Happened
In the first quarter, the Griffins had its struggles from the floor but were down just 6-4 with 3:43 remaining after Rylee Stafford made both free throws. However, the Pioneers closed out the quarter on an 8-0 run to lead by 10 after one.
In the second quarter, the Griffins shot 37.5 percent from the field, though the Pioneers shot an improved 64.3 percent from the field and outrebounded Fontbonne 11-4 on the glass to lead 36-18 at the break.
In the second half, the Pioneers combined to outscore Fontbonne 42-11 as they were able to go on for the 49-point win.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne had its struggles from the field shooting a season-low 16.1 percent and connecting on 3-of-31 from beyond-the-arc.
- Wisconsin-Platteville shot 50.9 percent from the field.
- The Pioneers controlled the glass with a 53-22 advantage.
- Haley Buscher led Fontbonne off the bench with a season-high nine points.
- Rylee Stafford added five points and five boards, while Raven Venegas contributed four points.
- Morgan Horstman recorded a double-double with a game-high 15 points and 11 boards.
- Taylor Gilbert came off the bench to contribute 10 points in 16 minutes of play.
The Griffins return to action next Saturday for its home opener against Rhodes. Tip-off at 1 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates on the women's basketball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).