KENOSHA, Wis.—The Fontbonne University women's basketball team dropped its first contest on the year on Thursday night after the Carthage Lady Reds pull away for the 71-64 win.
Final: Carthage 71, Fontbonne 64
Location: Kenosha, Wis.
Records: Carthage 1-1, Fontbonne 1-1
How It Happened
In the first quarter, the Griffins were on top throughout and stretched the advantage out to 12-8 at the 4:34 mark on Mallory Proffer's 3-pointer. Over the next nearly four minutes, the Lady Reds went on a 6-0 run to lead by two with 47.0 seconds left.
However, the Griffins closed out on a 4-0 run of its own with Riley Guffey's jumper giving them a 16-14 lead after one.
In the second quarter, the two teams went back-and-forth early but Fontbonne led by one (21-20) on Kourtney White's layup. At 3:27, the Griffins pushed the lead to 27-22 on Haley Buscher's 3-pointer. Katie Grimes connected on a 3-pointer two minutes later to give them the 30-24 lead.
The Lady Reds, though closed out the final minutes on a 6-1 run to trim the deficit down to 31-30 at the break.
In the third, a 3-pointer from Guffey gave Fontbonne some breathing room at 5:49 with a 37-33 lead. Fontbonne continued to hold its marginal lead until the Lady Reds met-up with them at 41-41 with 2:48 left on Autumn Kalis' bucket.
Carthage went on to regain the lead on Madie Kaelber's made jumper with 1:18 remaining to own a 43-41 advantage going into the fourth.
In the opening of the fourth, Raven Venegas collected consecutive buckets to give Fontbonne its lead back, 45-43. Carthage regained the advantage on its next possession with Sammie Woodward hitting her 3-pointer.
Later in the quarter, the Lady Reds were on top, 59-52, on Kalis' layup. The Lady Reds never reliniqushed its lead the rest of the way as they held on for the seven-point win.
Both teams shot the ball well in the fourth with each shooting over 53.0 percent from the floor. However, the Lady Reds got to the line 12 times, connecting on 10 attempts, compared to Fontbonne going 3-of-6.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne shot 40.0 percent from the floor and hit a season-high 12 3-pointers.
- The team ended with 37 rebounds.
- Carthage shot 35.5 percent from the field and went 21-of-27 (77.8 percent) from the charity-stripe.
- Defensively, they forced 22 Griffins turnovers.
- Raven Venegas added 10 points and six rebounds, while Kourtney White totaled a season-high 10 points, to go along with four rebounds, and four assists.
- Jillian Venegas, Proffer, and Guffey had nine points each.
- Haley Buscher netted a season-high eight points.
- Madie Kaelber led the floor with 19 points on 8-of-13 shooting.
- Woodward ended with 15 points, while Kalis contributed 12 points.
- Haley Ahr recorded a double-double with 11 points and a game-high 12 rebounds.
The Griffins continue its stay in Wisconsin when they'll take on Wisconsin-Platteville tomorrow night. Tip-off at 6 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates on the women's basketball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).