MOUNT PLEASANT, Iowa.— Behind Rylee Stafford's career-high 31 points, the Fontbonne University women's basketball team cruised past Iowa Wesleyan for the 81-55 win.
Score: Fontbonne 81, Iowa Wesleyan 55
Where: Mount Pleasant, Iowa
Records: Fontbonne (11-13; 7-8 SLIAC), Iowa Wesleyan (5-17; 3-12 SLIAC)
How It Happened
In the first quarter, the Griffins jumped out to a 14-4 lead at the 6:50 mark on Stafford's layup. With the team shooting 53.3 percent from the floor, while forcing eight Tigers turnovers and holding them to a 17.6 field goal percentage, the Griffins led 20-8 after 10:00 minutes of play.
In the second, the Tigers got a 3-pointer from Darby Massner to make it a 20-11 game, but over the next two minutes and 24 seconds, the Griffins went on a 12-0 run to lead by 21 (32-11) at the 7:34 mark. The Griffins continued its hot-shooting the rest of the way and led 40-25 at the break. Stafford led with 16 points.
In the third, a 3-pointer from Stafford extended the Griffins advantage out to 50-32 with 5:06 on the clock. Despite the team shooting 28.0 percent from the floor in the third, the Griffins made up for that defensively with eight forced turnovers and they led 60-40 heading into the fourth.
In the fourth, the Griffins shot a game-high 56.3 percent from the field and that proved to be more than enough with Fontbonne going on for the 26-point win.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne shot 44.4 percent from the floor and drained 12 3-pointers.
- The team came away with 22 steals which tied its season-high they posted back on Jan. 5th against Blackburn.
- The Griffins also tied its season-high with 26 assists and that tied its season-high they posted in its season opener against Robert Morris-Springfield.
- The Griffins scored 32 points off Iowa Wesleyan's turnovers.
- The Tigers outrebounded Fontbonne 46-32, but never got its offense going with a 28.4 field goal percentage.
- Stafford went 12-of-20 from the floor and 6-of-9 from downtown to set a new career-high with 31 points.
- Raven Venegas registered 16 points and six boards.
- Paige Black was the final player in double-figures with 13 points and tied the program record with nine steals in a single game. She's now up to 96 steals on the year which is tied for second all-time.
Iowa Wesleyan Leaders
- Darby Massner posted a double-double with 26 points and 14 rebounds.
- Allie Massner added 12 points and eight rebounds.
- The Griffins close out its 2018-19 season in front of the home crowd on Saturday as they'll take on Spalding on Senior Day. Tip-off at 1 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the women's basketball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).