ST. ANN, Mo.—After dropping game one against Spalding, the Fontbonne University softball team responded in a big way as they dealt the Golden Eagles its first conference loss with the 9-1 (5 inn.) victory.
Score: Spalding 9, Fontbonne 0 (5 inn.)
Location: ABC Ballpark
Records: Spalding (18-6; 5-0 SLIAC), Fontbonne (7-23; 5-10 SLIAC)
How It Happened
The Golden Eagles offense started fast in the first as they plated three runs on three hits to grab the early advantage.
In the third, the team extended its lead out to 6-0 on back-to-back homers from Grace Sweat and Mac Henderson. The Golden Eagles added three more runs in the fourth for the 9-0 win.
- Emelia Modglin had the lone hit for Fontbonne going 1-for-2.
- Lexi Becker took the loss going 2.0 innings, allowing six runs on seven hits.
- Olivia Carter picked up her ninth win on the season after striking out one in 5.0 innings.
- The 1-4 hitters of Ally Klein, Jennifer Peffley, Olivia Carter, and Grace Sweat combined to go 8-for-12 with six runs scored and three RBI.
- Henderson and Addie Morris contributed three hits between them and four RBI.
Score: Fontbonne 9, Spalding 1 (5 inn.)
Location: St. Ann, Mo.
Records: Fontbonne (8-23; 6-10 SLIAC), Spalding (18-7; 5-1 SLIAC)
How It Happened
Spalding got a run back in the third, but in the bottom of the fourth the Griffins put the game away. With Diamond Thomas on second and Daisy Watkins on first, Morris ripped a double down the left field line that plated the duo to make it a 4-1 lead.
After a groundout, Emily McNiff nearly had a home run to center, but the ball landed at the base of the wall. Still, the senior raced out a triple and that allowed Morris to score.
In the fifth, the Griffins put the Golden Eagles away scoring four runs on five hits with Maddy Strickland (two), Watkins, and Morris all tallying RBI en route to the eight-run win for Fontbonne.
- The 5-6 hitters in Strickland and Thomas combined to go 6-for-6 with five runs scored and two RBI.
- Morris had herself a night going 2-for-3 with a run scored and a career-high four RBI.
- Thomas earned win No. 4 on the season after striking out four and allowing one run.
- Chole Skorija dropped just her second game on the season after allowing five runs on eight hits.
- Ally Klein led the offense going 2-for-3 with an RBI.
- The Griffins close out its conference slate tomorrow afternoon when they'll host MacMurray 1 & 3 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the softball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).