ST. LOUIS, Mo.— The Fontbonne University softball team returns to the diamond on Tuesday when they'll host rival Webster in the Battle of Big Bend. First-pitch at 3 p.m., with Webster being the home team since originally the game was to be played at Webster.
It'll also be the StrikeOut Breast Cancer game. Prior to the outing, head coaches Katie Griffith and Casey Cromwell have important friends in their lives who are currently battling breast cancer.
It was with no hesitation from Coach Griffith to help Fontbonne support coach Cromwell's good friend, Brooke Visker, in her fight against cancer. Brooke was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer at age 24 and has since then finished her chemo and waiting surgery to remove the rest of her cancer. She welcomed the challenge, as she always did on the softball field, with a vibrant spirit and a determination to kick the disease.
The team is also wanting to draw attention to all cancers tomorrow as we know we all know someone who has battled the disease. Recently, sophomore Vanessa Leone's mother found out her cervical cancer has returned.
Brooke will be at tomorrow's game to throw out the first pitch, along with Vanessa Leone's mother, Jennifer.
They'll be also be going around to collect donations throughout the game tomorrow. Strikeout cancer t-shirts will also be sold that both teams have purchased to support cancer, specifically breast cancer, fighters/survivors and those we have lost to the disease.
Fontbonne (7-17; 5-5 SLIAC) at Webster (4-18; 1-7 SLIAC)
When: April 9th, 2019
Where: St. Louis, Mo.
Time: 3 & 5 p.m.
Game 1 Video: HERE
Game 2 Video: HERE
A Look At The Griffins
- The Griffins dropped a weekend series against Iowa Wesleyan on Saturday after falling 4-0 in game one and 10-2 (5 inn.) in game two.
- On the year, the offense is batting .279 and they're led by Maddy Strickland's .394 clip. She's totaled 26 hits, six doubles, one homer and a team-high 15 RBI.
- Lexi Becker is batting .353 in her freshman season, while Diamond Thomas owns a .351 average and leads them with 16 runs scored.
- Emelia Modglin batted .500 this past week which has upped her season average to .315 on the year.
- On the rubber, the staff has a 4.77 ERA in 143.2 innings pitched. Thomas has a 4.35 ERA in 64.1 innings pitched and owns a team-high 31 strikeouts.
- Strickland and Becker each have two wins with Strickland totaling 28 strikeouts.
A Look At The Webster Gorloks
- The Gorloks have dropped its last five, including an 8-0 (5 inn.) and 14-10 contests against Spalding last Saturday.
- On the year, they're batting .266 with Brienna Shepard leading with her .326 average. Taylor Jackson (.298) and Sheyla Iniguez (.296) are both hovering around the .300 mark.
- The pitching staff has a team ERA of 6.67 in 128.0 innings of work.
- Arianna Arias is 2-5 with a 5.36 ERA. Breelyn Craig has sat down a team-high 30 batters.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the softball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).