EUREKA, Ill. – The Fontbonne University softball team earned a split with Eureka on Wednesday with the team taking game one 9-8 (8 inn.), but fell 10-9 in game two.
Score: Fontbonne 9, Eureka 8
Location: Eureka, Ill.
Records: Fontbonne 7-14 (5-2 SLIAC), Eureka 6-3 (4-1 SLIAC)
How It Happened
The Griffins got on the board with a 2-0 lead in the top of the first as after a single by Diamond Thomas, a walk to Grace Harlin, and a hit-by-pitch to Emelia Modglin, the bases were loaded for Maddy Strickland.
The senior came through with a single to left that scored Thomas to make it 1-0. Lexi Becker went on to reach on a fielder's choice that brought Harlin home to extend it out to 2-0.
In the bottom of the second, though the Red Devils took a 3-2 lead on RBI from Morgan Ledbetter and Klaire Wilmot. Fontbonne tied it in the third on an RBI single from Becker.
In the home half of the fourth, Morgan Ledbetter gave Eureka the lead backon a leadoff solo homer. Fontbonne, though once again in the fifth with Becker tallying an RBI single to right, scoring Harlin, who led off with a single of her own.
Eureka took a 5-4 lead in the fifth and held onto that advantage till the seventh. Harlin led off with a walk and moved up to second on Modglin's sacrifice-bunt. After a fly-out, Becker came through as well with two outs on a single up the middle to tie the game.
Then, after an error, Daisy Watkins reached base on a throwing error to give Fontbonne the 6-5 lead. Eureka, however, went on to tie it in the bottom half and it was off to extra innings.
In the top of the eighth, Emily McNiff was placed on second and she was able to score on a Red Devils error to give them a 7-6 lead. Modglin and Strickland contributed RBI singles to Fontbonne to make it a 9-6 game.
The Red Devils plated two runs on three hits in the bottom half, but Strickland was able to close the door to secure the win for Fontbonne.
- Strickland improved to 2-5 on the rubber after allowing four runs (three earned) on eight hits in her 4.0 innings of work.
- At the 4-5 spots, the duo of Strickland and Becker combined to go 6-for-9 with two runs scored and six RBI. The four RBI are a career-high for Becker.
- Erin Smith was dealt her second loss on the year after allowing seven earned runs on 11 hits.
- Ledbetter led at the plate going 4-for-4 with two runs scored and three RBI.
- Sydney Shubert and Morgan Osborn had two hits each.
Score: Eureka 10, Fontbonne 9
Location: Eureka, Ill.
Records: Eureka 7-3 (5-1 SLIAC), Fontbonne 7-15 (5-3 SLIAC)
How It Happened
In the first, Thomas led off with a single and Harlin worked a walk. Thomas was able to score on Modglin's RBI single and Harlin followed on Becker's bunt single.
Eureka got one of those runs back in the fourth, but the Griffins piled it on in the sixth. Abby Richmond led off with a double and Harlin later walked to put two on with one out.
Modglin tallied an RBI single to make it a 3-1 game. Strickland kept the line moving with a two RBI single. After a single by Becker and a ground out, Watkins hit her first collegiate homer, this one a three-run shot, to give Fontbonne a commanding 8-1 lead.
Eureka added another run in the home half, but still trailed 8-2 going into the seventh. Russo hammered her team-high third homer in the seventh to extend the lead out to 9-2.
However, in the bottom of the seventh, the Red Devils scored eight runs on six hits to earn the come-from-behind win.
- Thomas fell to 3-6 on the season after allowing eight runs in 6.2 innings.
- Watkins finished 1-for-3 with a run scored and three RBI.
- Modglin and Strickland contributed two RBI.
- Becker went 2-for-4 with an RBI.
- Alisyn Showalter got the win out of the pen going 2.1 innings, allowing one run on two hits out of the pen.
- Morgan Osborn and Adrianna Zeman had three RBI each.
- Raelyn Payne went 3-for-5 with a run scored and RBI at the leadoff spot.
- The Griffins return to action this Saturday when they'll visit Iowa Wesleyan. First-pitch at 3 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the softball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).