ST. ANN, Mo.—The Fontbonne University dropped its home opener against the WashU Bears on Tuesday, 7-1.
Score: WashU 7, Fontbonne 1
Location: ABC Ballpark
Records: WashU 8-7, Fontbonne 4-12
How It Happened
The scoring got started for the Bears in the top of the second as they scored three runs, all unearned, as the Griffins committed three defensive errors in the inning.
In the bottom half, though the Griffins got one of those runs back. Melanie Russo stepped in with two outs and ripped a solo shot to left-center, her first on the year, to make it a 3-1 game.
In the fourth, however, the Bears made it a 4-1 game on Amy Walsh's RBI single to center. The Griffins committed another error, its second of the inning, allowing another run to score and make it 5-1.
The Bears went on to plate another in the sixth and seventh innings to go on for the 7-1 win.
- Lexi Becker took the loss despite not allowing an earned run in her 5.0 innings.
- Russo and Gracie Morris had one hit each.
- The Griffins had its struggles defensively with six errors.
- Madison Denton came out of the pen to pick up her fifth win on the year in her 4.0 innings pitched.
- Amy Walsh went 3-for-3 with a run scored and three RBI.
- The Griffins are right back at it tomorrow when they'll jump into conference play on the road against Greenville. First-pitch at 3 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the softball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).