ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The (RV) Fontbonne University men's volleyball team closed out its 2019 home slate with a four-set win against Mount St. Joseph.
Score: Fontbonne 3, Mount St. Joseph 1 (22-25, 25-21, 25-23, 25-18)
Location: St. Louis, Mo. (DSAC)
Records: Fontbonne 21-2 (5-2 MCVL), Mount St. Joseph (8-16 (4-3 MCVL)
How It Happened
In the first set, the Lions scored the first six points and expanded its lead out to 13-6 on Jason Hascher's kill. Later in the set, the Griffins tied it up at 20-20, but the Lions went on a 4-0 run as a block assist from Jack Spohn and Hascher gave them the 24-20 lead.
In the second set, the Griffins jumped out to a 13-10 lead after two kills from Woolsey and another from Klusman. Fontbonne was leading 17-12, though a 7-2 run MSJ evened it up at 19-19 on Rey Sanchez's kill.
The Griffins answered with a kill from Klusman and never looked back as they went on for the 25-21 win on Brendon Schwartze's kill.
It continued to be back-and-forth play in the third as the two teams met-up at 12-12. From there, the Lions regained the lead and expanded it out to 21-16. However, the Griffins went on a 5-1 run as a service ace from Klusman tied it up at 21-21 and brought the momentum back towards Fontbonne.
They were all square once more at 23-23, however, Fontbonne collected the final two points for the 25-23 set win.
In the fourth, the Griffins grabbed the 13-10 advantage on a block assist from Emir Hadzisalihovic and Josh Farley. They stretched it out to 20-15 and cruised to the 25-18 set and match win on Farley's kill.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne compiled 50 kills and a .198 hitting percentage.
- They dished out 46 assists and 59 digs.
- The Lions ended with 52 kills and a .218 hitting percentage. They also added 10 block assists.
- The team had its struggles at the service line with 14 service errors and seven reception errors.
- Schwartze tied his season-high and registered his first double-double with 12 kills and 10 digs.
- Farley concluded with 10 kills. Hadzisalihovic added nine kills, a .615 hitting percentage, two solo blocks and three block assists.
- Woolsey had a strong day with eight kills and a .353 hitting percentage.
- After reaching 2,000 assists last night, Kyler van Rossum-O'Connell picked up right where he left off with 43 assists.
- Klusman led the Griffins with 12 digs defensively. Zach Rothstein added 10 of his own to tie Schwartze.
Mount St. Joseph Notables
- Darrell Swanson and Hascher tied with a match-high 14 kills. Zack Storc contributed 13.
- Rey Sanchez added 42 assists and libero Nick Melbardis led with 11 digs.
- The Griffins return to action next weekend for two matches to close out the 2019 regular season. First-up on Friday is a trip to Olivet. First-service at 6 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's volleyball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).