ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The (RV) Fontbonne University men's volleyball team set a program record in wins on Friday night with its 20th victory on the year as the Griffins swept past Trine. Kyler van Rossum-O'Connell also became the first player in program history to reach the 2,000-assist mark in his career. Prior to the game, the Griffins honored its four seniors, Josh Farley, Emir Hadzisalihovic, Brendon Schwartze and TJ Vorva.
Score: Fontbonne 3, Trine 0 (25-12, 25-19, 25-15)
Location: St. Louis, Mo. (DSAC)
Records: Fontbonne 20-2 (4-2 MCVL), Trine 6-20 (0-6 MCVL)
How It Happened
In the first set, the Griffins jumped out to a commanding 15-5 lead on a Thunder attack error. The team cruised on the rest of the way en route to the 25-12 win. Fontbonne set a match-high in the first with 16 kills and a .481 hitting percentage.
Its success carried over into the second set with Kyler van Rossum-O'Connell's kill giving the Griffins an 11-8 lead. The Thunder trimmed it down to 17-15 on a Griffins service error, but a quick 4-0 run gave Fontbonne some breathing room at 21-15.
Later in the set, the Thunder made it a 24-19 game after going a 3-0 run, though Fontbonne finished the set off on Emir Hadzisalihovic's kill for the 25-19 set win.
The Thunder grabbed the early lead in the third, but a 5-0 run by Fontbonne put them back out in front 13-10 on TJ Vorva's kill. The team stretched its advantage out to 22-13 and never looked back for the 25-15 set and match win.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne ended with 40 kills, a .312 hitting percentage, 39 assists, and 31 digs in the win.
- The Thunder ended with 23 kills, a .052 hitting percentage and just 17 digs.
- Schwartze led with a season-high 12 kills and .472 hitting percentage.
- Vorva registered nine kills for the second straight game and a .250 hitting percentage.
- Hadzisalihovic totaled seven kills and a .545 hitting percentage.
- Kyler van Rossum-O'Connell contributed his seventh double-double on the year with 32 assists and 12 digs.
- Kyle Dixon and Eric Santiago-Garcia led with seven kills.
- Setter Hunter Monday handed out 20 assists.
- The Griffins are back in action tomorrow afternoon in its regular season finale at home against Mount St. Joseph. First-service at 1 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's volleyball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).