GREENVILLE, Ill.—The (RV) Fontbonne University men's volleyball team swept past Greenville on Tuesday night to take the season series.
Score: Fontbonne 3, Greenville 0 (25-22, 25-21, 25-21)
Location: Greenville, Ill.
Records: Fontbonne 18-2 (3-2 MCVL), Greenville 10-13, 0-5 MCVL)
How It Happened
It was back-and-forth play throughout the first set as consecutive kills from Devin Oregon and Kyle Ward tied it up at 18-18.
Fontbonne went on to regain the lead at 20-18, but the two teams met-up once more at 23-23 on a kill from George Black. However, Fontbonne was able to close out the set and secure the 25-23 win.
In the second, a kill from Braden Woolsey, two more from Mark Klusman, and a service ace from Cameron Way gave Fontbonne a 14-8 advantage. Later in the set, the Griffins were on top 19-15, but the Panthers rattled off a 5-1 run to tie the game at 20-20 on Nick Corrigan's kill.
Fontbonne, though closed out the set on a 5-1 run as Sebastian Roca's service ace gave them the 25-21 win.
In the third, the Panthers grabbed a 12-10 lead on three straight kills from Isaiah Canales, Black, and Ward. Fontbonne answered with a 5-0 run as Woolsey's solo block gave them the 15-12 lead.
The Griffins never relinquished its lead the rest of the way as Brendon Schwartze closed out the set and the match with a kill.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne finished with 42 kills and a .187 hitting percentage. Defensively, they came away with 45 digs and 12 block assists.
- The Panthers ended with 32 kills and a .143 hitting percentage.
- Klusman led with 12 kills.
- Emir Hadzisalihovic had another strong game against Greenville with nine kills and a .571 hitting percentage.
- Schwartze closed out his ninght with nine kills and a .208 hitting percentage.
- Kyler van Rossum-O'Connell handed out 35 assists.
- Both Way and Zach Rothstein tied with 11 digs each.
- Black led the Panthers with a match-high 13 kills.
- Tanner Smith dished out 27 assists and Logan Dameris posted a team-high eight digs.
- The Griffins begin a three-game home stretch this Friday when they'll take on North Park. First-service at 7 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's volleyball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).