ST. LOUIS, Mo.— After picking up a huge win over No. 8 North Central on Friday night, the Fontbonne University men's volleyball team took on another tough foe in No. 1 Carthage. The match-up didn't disappoint, the Griffins unfortunately fell in straight sets (23-25, 23-25, 23-25).
Score: Carthage 3, Fontbonne 0
Records: Carthage 17-1 (4-0 MCVL), Fontbonne 17-2 (2-2 MCVL)
How It Happened
In the first set, the Griffins jumped out to a 13-9 lead on a kill from Brendon Schwartze. The team continued to hold onto its advantage up until the Red Men evened up the scoreboard at 21-21 on Matt Slivinski's kill.
From there, the two teams went point-for-point as the Griffins tied it at 23-23 on Mark Klusman's kill. However, the Red Men got kills from Evan Walsh and Slivinski to take the opener, 25-23.
In the second, after trailing 9-8, the Red Men rattled off a 5-0 run to own a 13-9 lead on Walsh's kill. Fontbonne trimmed the deficit down to 21-19 on Schwartze's kill and eventually were down 24-23 on an attack error, but the Red Men got another kill from Slivinski for the 25-23 victory.
In the third, a service ace from Slivinski gave Carthage a 14-8 lead. The Griffins kept battling and eventually made it a 23-22 contest on a Red Men attack error. However, Carthage was able to finish the set and the match off on Slivinski's kill for the 25-23 set and match win.
Inside The Numbers
- The Griffins finished the day with 36 kills, a .192 hitting percentage, and 34 digs.
- Carthage rounded out with 47 kills, a .248 hitting percentage, 34 digs, and eight block assists.
- Both teams had at least 10 kills in each set.
- Schwartze stepped up for the Griffins today as he tied his season-high with 11 kills and a .375 hitting percentage.
- Klusman ended with nine kills and eight digs, while Braden Woolsey had five.
- Kyler van Rossum-O'Connell handed out 34 assists, while Zach Rothstein posted nine digs.
- Walsh (15) and Slivinski (14) combined for 29 of the teams 47 kills. Slivinski hit .321 on the afternoon, while Walsh ended at .290.
- Matt Reinsel finished with a match-high 31 assists and Kyle Cohan led the group defensively with a match-high 10 digs.
- The Griffins are back in action on Tuesday afternoon when they'll look for the season sweep on the road against Greenville. First-service at 7 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's volleyball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).