ST LOUIS, Mo.—The Fontbonne University men's volleyball team earned one of its biggest wins in program history on Friday night after defeating No. 8-ranked North Central in straight sets (25-21, 25-20, 25-16).
Score: Fontbonne 3, North Central 0 (25-21, 25-20, 25-16)
Records: Fontbonne 17-1; 2-1 MCVL, North Central 12-8, 2-1 MCVL
How It Happened
The Griffins opened with a 10-4 lead in the first set on a kill from Emir Hadzisalihovic. Later in the set, the team was up 16-10, but the Cardinals trimmed it down to 18-16 on a Fontbonne attack error and that forced the Griffins to take a timeout.
Out of the break, the team stretched its lead back out to 22-18 on kills from Brendon Schwartze and Mark Klusman. The Cardinals got it back down to 23-21, but that'd be as close as they'd get with Fontbonne going on for the 25-21 win on a block assist from Emir Hadzisalihovic and Kyler van Rossum-O'Connell to close out the set.
In the second, it was back-and-forth play early, but the Griffins took a 13-11 lead on kills from Schwartze and Hadzisalihovic.
A kill by Kevin Messner narrowed the Cardinals deficit to 19-18, but Fontbonne responded with a 5-0 run as Hadzisalihovic's kill gave them the 23-18 lead. From there, Fontbonne was able to go on for the 25-20 win on Hadzisalihovic's kill.
It was all Fontbonne in the third. A Griffins service error made it a 12-8 contest in favor of the home team. The team took over the rest of the way, going on a 7-0 run, and closing the Cardinals out on Schwartze's kill for the 25-16 set and match win.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne finished with 31 kills and 14 errors for a .162 hitting percentage. The team got it done defensively with 43 digs, 14 block assists and 11 blocks overall.
- The Cardinals concluded with 31 kills and 26 errors for a season-low .047 hitting percentage.
- Mark Klusman led the Griffins overall with 11 kills, four service aces, and seven digs.
- Hadzisalihovic also filled up his stat line with six kills, four digs, two solo blocks, and four block assists.
- Josh Farley also contributed six digs, while Brendon Schwartze added four kills, five digs, and four block assists of his own.
- Kyler van Rossum-O'Connell handed out 23 assists and Zach Rothstein was busy defensively with a match-high 15 digs.
North Central Leaders
- Jacob Zemba led the Cardinals offensively with 10 kills.
- Michael Trunzo finished with a double-double with 23 assists and 11 digs.
- The Griffins are back in action tomorrow afternoon when No. 1 Carthage comes to town. First-service at 1 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's volleyball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).