BROOKLYN, N.Y.—The Fontbonne University men's volleyball team closed out its trip to New York with a sweep over Brooklyn. In the win, Kyler van Rossum-O'Connell also became the all-time leader in assists.
Score: Fontbonne 3, Brooklyn 0 (25-6, 25-15, 25-23)
Location: Brooklyn, N.Y.
Records: Fontbonne 16-1, Brooklyn 5-7
How It Happened
With his 11 assists tonight, Kyler van Rossum-O'Connell upped his career total to 1848 in 227 sets played. He surpassed the previous mark of 1840 set by Jacob Lendy from 2015-18. He's also just one of three players in program history with at least 1,000 assists.
Currently, he's on pace to have a career year as he's totaled 515 assists thus far and averaging nearly 10.30 assists per set which is top-five in the country.
It was a dominant display in the first set for the Griffins with the team totaling 14 kills and a match-high .571 hitting percentage in the 25-6 win. The Bulldogs, meanwhile, struggled with three kills and 11 errors for a negative -.308 hitting percentage.
The Griffins continued rolling along in the second set with the team taking a 16-9 lead on Jacob Hartmann's kill. With the team totaling 14 kills and a .367 hitting percentage, they were able to go on for the 25-15 win.
In the third, after the Griffins held the lead throughout, the Bulldogs grabbed an 18-17 lead on a Fontbonne attack error. The team went on to retake the lead at 20-19 on Cameron Way's kill and fended off the Bulldogs late for the 25-23 set and match win.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne finished with 39 kills and a .302 hitting percentage. They also posted 43 digs and six solo blocks.
- Brooklyn had its struggles all night offensively with 15 kills and 27 errors for a negative -.132 hitting percentage.
- Cameron Graves tied his career-high with nine kills and concluded with a .471 hitting percentage.
- TJ Vorva set a new season-high with six kills.
- Mark Klusman tied Kyler van Rossum-O'Connell with 11 assists.
- Way and Nate Paasch tied with a match-high nine digs each.
- Michael Valentin led with team-high eight kills and eight digs.
- Sayuj Zachariah dished out a match-high 14 assists.
- The Griffins return home next Friday night when they'll take on No. 9-ranked North Central. First-service at 7 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's volleyball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).