MEQUON, Wis.—The Fontbonne University men's volleyball team made it 10 straight wins on Saturday after a sweep (25-17, 25-14, 25-20) over Concordia Wisconsin.
Score: Fontbonne 3, Concordia Wisconsin 0 (25-17, 25-14, 25-20)
Location: Mequon, Wis.
Records: Fontbonne (10-0), Concordia Wisconsin (6-5)
How It Happened
In the first set, the Griffins opened with a 12-7 lead on a Falcons attack error. A Fontbonne attack error brought CUW to within four at 17-13, but the Griffins closed out the set on an 8-4 run as Jacob Hartmann had the kill to give Fontbonne the 25-17 win.
In the second set, the Griffins had 11 kills and four errors on 19 attempts for a match-high .368 hitting percentage. The Falcons, meanwhile, never got it going with nine kills and nine errors for a .000 hitting percentage.
Fontbonne jumped out to an early 11-5 lead on a block assist from Hartmann and Mark Klusman. The Falcons kept battling and were down 15-12 on a Fontbonne ball handling error.
From there, the Griffins regained control and finished the set off on a 10-2 run as a block from Hartmann gave Fontbonne the 25-14 win.
In the third, the two teams met-up at 8-8 on a Falcons kill from Sam Rovik. Fontbonne responded with a 7-0 run to gain the necessary breathing room at 15-8.
CUW tried to stay in it as a kill from Rovik made it a 23-20 outing, but Emir Hadzisalihovic and Hartmann finished off the set and match with consecutive kills for the 25-20 win.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne concluded with 31 kills and a .292 hitting percentage.
- Defensively, they posted 35 digs and 10 block assists.
- The Falcons were limited to a .062 hitting percentage and committed 10 service errors.
- Hadzisalihovic had eight kills for the second straight match and ended with a .429 hitting percentage.
- Klusman added seven kills and a .308 hitting percentage.
- Brendon Schwartze was busy on both sides of the net with six kills and seven digs.
- Kyler van Rossum-O'Connell had a match-high 27 assists.
- Cameron Way led them with a team-high seven digs.
Concordia Wisconsin Leaders
- James Althoff had a match-high 11 kills.
- Setter Connor Muff dished out 24 assists and finished with four digs.
- Turner Fuhrer posted a match-high eight digs.
- The team returns home next Saturday for a tri-match against Maranatha Baptist at 12 p.m., followed by a 4 p.m., contest against Greenville.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's volleyball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).