ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The Fontbonne University men's volleyball team treated its home fans to a straight set sweep over Greenville on Tuesday to extend its winning streak out to nine.
Score: Fontbonne 3, Greenville 0 (25-15, 25-11, 25-19)
Where: St. Louis, Mo. (DSAC)
Records: Fontbonne (9-0), Greenville (4-5)
How It Happened
In the first set, the Griffins opened with a commanding 15-9 lead after a kill from Brendon Schwartze. From there, the Griffins dominated the rest of the way en route to the 25-15 win on a Panthers service error.
The momentum carried over into the second set with Fontbonne jumping out to a 15-3 lead on a block from Kyler van Rossum-O'Connell. With the team totaling 12 kills and a .500 hitting percentage and Greenville hitting .000 for the second straight set, the Griffins went on for the 25-11 win.
In the third, the Griffins saved its best for last with a match-high 16 kills and a .519 hitting percentage. The Panthers jumped out to an 8-7 lead on a kill from Johnny Milabu. Fontbonne, though answered with a 6-0 run on a kill from Mark Klusman.
Greenville trimmed it down to 17-15, but that'd be as close as they'd get with Fontbonne cruising to the 25-19 set and match win.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne posted 40 kills and limited themselves to a season-low seven errors for a season-high .452 hitting percentage.
- The Griffins totaled six service aces and six blocks.
- The teams eight block assists makes it the third time that's happened in the last four games.
- Greenville was held to a .069 hitting percentage, committed seven service errors, and six reception errors.
- Mark Klusman led with a match-high 10 kills and a season-high. 381 hitting percentage. He tied his season-high with eight digs. Klusman got it done at the service line with four service aces.
- Emir Hadzisalihovic tied his season-high with eight kills. He didn't commit an error for the second straight game and fifth time this year.
- Braden Woolsey and Josh Farley tied Hadzisalihovic with eight kills.
- Kyler van Rossum-O'Connell handed out 35 assists and tied Klusman with eight digs.
- The Griffins hit the road on Saturday for an outing against Concordia Wisconsin. First-service at 12 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's volleyball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).