FULTON, Mo.—The Fontbonne University men's tennis team earned its first victory on the year after fending off Westminster for the 5-4 win.
Score: Fontbonne 5, Westminster 4
Location: Fulton, Mo.
Records: Fontbonne 1-5, Westminster 0-3
How It Happened
Success carried over into singles play with Culton winning at No. 1, 6-0, 6-2 against Phillip Udinyiwe. Stevens also earned a 3-6, 6-0, 6-1 win over Giovanni Strickland at No. 2.
Anh Nguyen earned a 7-5, 6-0 victory at No. 4, while despite the loss, Jaxon Ziemann put forth a hard -fought effort against Brandon Rettke before falling 6-4, 1-6, 16-14. Despite the couple losses in singles, the Griffins were still able to come away with the victory.
- Sebastian Culton/Zach Stevens (FBU) def. Joshua Udinyiwe/Phillip Udinyiwe (WC), 8-5
- Giovanni Strickland/Nick Lakowski (WC) def. Anh Nguyen/Jaxon Ziemann (FBU), 8-6
- Brandon Baumgartner/Hayden Thompson (FBU) def. Brandon Rettke/Mike Rois (WC), 8-3
- Sebastian Culton (FBU) def. Phillip Udinyiwe (WC), 6-0, 6-2
- Zach Stevens (FBU) def. Giovanni Strickland (WC), 3-6, 6-0, 6-1
- Joshua Udinyiwe (WC) def. Brandon Baumgartner (FBU), 6-4, 6-4
- Anh Nguyen (FBU) def. Nick Lakowski (WC), 7-5, 6-0
- Brandon Rettke (WC) def. Jaxon Ziemann (FBU), 6-4, 1-6, 16-14
- Mike Rois (WC) def. Hayden Thompson (FBU), 6-0, 6-2
The Griffins are right back on the court tomorrow night when they'll visit Greenville. First-service at 6:30 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's tennis team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).