Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Wolf's Game Winner Leads Griffins Past Westminster

Wolf's Game Winner Leads Griffins Past Westminster

FULTON, Mo.— Despite being outshot 17-9 against Westminster the Fontbonne University men's soccer team made its shots count as they came away with a 3-2 win against the Blue Jays.

"I saw a stat that we haven't beat them (Westminster) since 2009 and that's a big monkey off our back," said head coach Donnie Alberty. "It wasn't our prettiest performance, but the fact that we were able to answer their second goal with our third in under a minute is a huge confidence booster for us. It feels pretty good right now."

Fontbonne (10-4-1; 5-1 SLIAC), was led by the two goal performance out of Nick Wolf as he's now up to seven on the year. Charles Gibbs, meanwhile, netted his first goal of his collegiate career on two shots. In net, Jordan Alberici improved to 8-0 on the season after making four saves.

Westminster (4-9-1; 3-3 SLIAC), saw Patrick Wisnewski lead them with three shots and one goal, while Jacob Skaggs added the other.

In the first half, it was a consistent back-and-forth battle between the two teams. Then, in the 16th minute, Wolf scored an unassisted goal to give the Griffins a 1-0 lead.

That lead, however, was short-lived with the Blue Jays scoring the equalizer minutes later. Off a corner kick, Skaggs headed in Daniel Barone's cross to tie it 1-1.

The Blue Jays continued its offensive pressure, outshooting the Griffins 3-1 over the next 10 minutes. However, after seeing his initial shot saved by Westminster goalie Raul Belman, Gibbs followed up on his second attempt and buried it past Belman in the 32nd minute to give FBU a 2-1 advantage at the break.

In the second half, the Blue Jays outshot Fontbonne 3-1 to start the first 20:00 minutes but the Griffins were still ahead by one. At the 62:44 mark though, Westminster tied it up on Wisnewski's goal.

FBU answered right back in a matter of seconds as Wolf beat Belman, off an assist from Blake Smugala, to give the visitor's its lead back at 3-2.

Westminster picked up the pace and peppered Alberici as the clock continued to tick away but the Griffins were able to hang on for the one goal win.

The team will return to action this Saturday at MacMurray. Kick-off is scheduled for 1 p.m.

Fans make sure to stay updated on throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's soccer team.