Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Griffins Pick Up A Dominant Win Over Marian

Griffins Pick Up A Dominant Win Over Marian

ST. LOUIS, Mo.—It was a physical outing between the Marian Sabres and Fontbonne University on Sunday afternoon, but the Griffins controlled play throughout as they went on for the 2-1 win.

"This was a solid performance for us," said head coach Donnie Alberty. "The guys knew they come out flat yesterday and it was pretty obvious early on that we had more energy today. We felt a little unfortunate to give up the goal, but I was pleased to see that we didn't let it break our spirit, and we were able to fight back and get the result."

A combined 41 fouls were called and six yellow cards were handed out between the two teams. FBU was able to own a shot advantage of 20-7 against the Sabres.

The Griffins got its goals from Greg Ferry and Nick Wolf on the day, while David Keeven led them in shot department with five. In goal, Jordan Albreici picked up another win after making one save.

Coming into today, Marian (5-2) was dominating its opponents with a goal advantage of 23-1. Against the tough defensive line of the Griffins though the Sabres were held in check. Muhammed Abshir, who netted his seventh goal on the year, led Marian with two shots.

In the first half, the Griffins totaled four shots in the first 12 minutes. An unlucky break happened though in the 14th minute.

FBU tried to clear the ball away but it went right to Jose Luis Alvarado. He one-timed it right over the Griffins defense and Abshir headed it over Alberici to give them a 1-0 lead.

Fontbonne wasn't bothered though as they continued to play its game and pressure the Sabres defense. Then, in the 25th minute a foul was called on Marian in the box, which awarded a penalty kick to FBU.

The Griffins capitalized with Ferry burying his shot into the right side of the net, making it a 1-1 game. Fontbonne went on to outshoot the Sabres 3-1, but as the first half horn sounded it was all square.

In the second half, FBU continued to keep the ball deep in the Sabres zone. In the 56th minute, Nick Nelson dribbled down the right side of the field and he crossed it over into the box.

Awaiting was Wolf and with Sabres goalie Ian Chacon jumping right next to him as he attempted to punch the ball away, Wolf was able to head it into the back of the net, giving them a 2-1 lead.

One of the better chances for Marian to tie the game came at the 61:21 mark. Abshir dribbled between the Griffins defense and ripped his shot, however, it went off the crossbar.

With Fontbonne playing well both offensively and defensively the rest of the way, FBU was able to hang on for the 2-1 win.

The team will now hit the road when they'll pay a visit to Illinois Wesleyan on Wednesday, September 20th. Kick-off is set for 7 p.m.

Fans make sure to stay updated on throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's soccer team.