Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Griffins Shutout Streak Gets Spoiled Against Wabash

Griffins Shutout Streak Gets Spoiled Against Wabash

ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The Fontbonne University men's soccer team saw its shutout streak come to an end on Saturday afternoon as the Griffins fell 3-0 against Wabash.

Fontbonne (3-2-1), totaled five shots on the day and were paced by Kevin Gregorc's two. In goal, Tony Pitaro got the start, making six saves.

Wabash (3-2), peppered Pitaro with 14 shots and nine landing on net. Francisco Trejo had himself a game with two goals and an assist on four shots. Mohamed Ndour, meanwhile, added the other goal for the Little Giants.

In the first half, the Little Giants got on the board early in the 13th minute as Trejo blasted his shot just outside the 18 yard box, past Pitaro to make it a 1-0 game.

The goal also ended the Griffins shutout streak, but it was an impressive one to say the least, ending at just over 303:00 minutes.

The two teams continued to battle as the half wore on, but despite being outshot 8-1, the Griffins were only down 1-0 at the break.

In the second half, a foul was called on the Griffins in the box and a penalty kick was awarded to Wabash. The Little Giants had a chance to take a 2-0 lead but Space Dorsuleski's shot went off the crossbar and out of play.

As the clock continued to tick away, Wabash continued its offensive pressure. It paid off in the 65th minute as Trejo sent a shot that skipped up on Pitaro. He couldn't corral it and that left the rebound for Ndour who buried it into the back of the net, giving them a 2-0 lead.

The Little Giants put the game away in the 77th minute with Trejo netting his second of the game. The forward took a shot from 20 yards out, the ball went off the post and into the net, making it a 3-0 final.

Fontbonne will be right back at it tomorrow afternoon as they'll take on Marian. Kick-off is set for 3 p.m.

Fans make sure to stay updated on tomorrow night for a full recap and score.