Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Griffins Battle Lynx To A 0-0 Tie; Team Extends Shutout Streak To 290:00 Minutes

Griffins Battle Lynx To A 0-0 Tie; Team Extends Shutout Streak To 290:00 Minutes

Photo credit: Cecilia Jones

MEMPHIS, Tenn.—The Fontbonne University men's soccer team battled Rhodes to a 0-0 tie after 110:00 minutes of play on Sunday, which extended its shutout streak to 290:00 minutes.

"Our team is developing our identity," said head coach Donnie Alberty. "We have displayed that we are going to give a solid effort. Not sure anyone wants a game with no goals, but we are really playing well defensively. Greg Ferry, Max Kirkpatrick and Marc Roellig have really controlled the middle of the defensive third for the last three matches."

He added, "We haven't given up a goal in three games and our keepers Tony Pitaro and Jordan Alberici are both playing well. We are in a pretty good place defensively right now. We created some chances and the goals will come. I can't help but we happy and satisfied with our group right now."

The Griffins finished with eight shots in the outing, with Corey Schmidt leading with two. In goal, Pitaro came up with one save.

Rhodes, meanwhile, closed out with 12 shots and William Mitchell led with a game-high four. In net, Patrick Wilkerson made two saves.

It was back-and-forth play in the first half with each team having four shots each. The Griffins had its chances in the 13th and 18th minute from David Keeven and Nick Wolf but both those attempts were denied.

Later in the half, the Lynx got a corner kick in the 37th minute. However, Matt McKeand's header off the attempt went high. They had another shot five minutes later, but Mitchell's attempt went high as well.

In the second half, neither team gave way with only a total of six shots combined between the two teams. One of Fontbonne's two shots came in the 83rd minute as Schmidt looked to be the hero, but his shot went wide left so it was off to overtime.

In the first OT, it was a shot-for-shot showing with both offenses picking up the pace. The Lynx had its attempt in the 91st minute go wide. Then, in the 94th and 95th minutes, Alex Phillips and Mitchell both saw their attempts go high.

The best chance came from Schmidt in the 96th minute, however, Wilkerson's last save was a big one to force the final 10:00 minutes of play.

Only one shot was recorded in the second OT and it came from Mitchell. Pitaro though came up with the save to make it a final, 0-0 tie.

The team will now get a break before they hit the pitch at home this Saturday against Wabash. Kick-off is set for 3 p.m.

Fans make sure to stay updated on throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's soccer team.