Story written by Sports Information Intern, Jason Dierker
St. Louis, Mo.—The Fontbonne University men's lacrosse team lost a close 14-13 conference match against Cornell College.
Final: Cornell 14, Fontbonne 13
Location: Centene Stadium
Records: Cornell (4-12; 2-8 MLC), Fontbonne (1-13; 1-9 MLC)
What Happened: In the first, Fontbonne was able to gain and early lead with a goal by Matt Reach, assisted by Alex Scott, at the 13:38 mark. Cornell was then able to rack on three straight goals. From there, Fontbonne and Cornell both scored two goals each to end the first with a score of 5-3.
In the second, Fontbonne was able to tie up the game with goals by Connor Mallett and Michael Piccolo. The Rams took back the lead at the 6:58 mark with a goal by John Linderman. However, Fontbonne's Cameron Director was able to tie the game back up to end the period with a score of 6-6.
In the third, Fontbonne was able to pull it together and outscore the Rams 6-3. Piccolo (two), Patrick Kennedy, Rech, Mallett, and Director were all able to score to give Fontbonne a 12-9 lead at the end of the period.
In the fourth quarter, Fontbonne was unable to maintain their lead and gave up five goals giving Cornell a 14-12 lead with 4:22 left. Fontbonne was able to reduce the Rams lead to one goal at the 3:28 mark with Cameron Director's third goal. Unfortunately, the Griffins couldn't find the back of the net and lost to Cornell with a final score of 14-13.
Inside The Numbers:
- Fontbonne totaled 27 shots.
- Fontbonne recorded 17 shots on goal.
- Cornell had 18 turnovers.
- Cornell recorded 59 shots.
- Michael Picciolo recorded four goals and one assist.
- Cameron Director recorded three goals and one assist.
- Matt Rech has two goals and two assists.
- Connor Mallett contributed two goals and one assist.
- Alex Scott dished out five assists.
- Brendan Langmack recorded four goals and three assists.
- Kyle Jussila had a hat-trick and one assist.
- Brodie Vieweg and John Lindeman both contributed two goals.
- Jack Bilenduke recorded two goals and five assists.
The Griffins are back in action at home on Senior Day against Northwestern- St. Paul on Saturday April 27th. The game begins at 6 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's lacrosse team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).