Story written by Sports Information Intern, Jason Dierker
ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The Fontbonne University men's lacrosse team had a tough conference loss to Marian University on Saturday.
Final: Marian 21, Fontbonne 7
Location: Centene Stadium
Records: Marian (9-4; 5-3 MLC), Fontbonne (1-12; 1-7 MLC)
In the first, Marian was able to score first at the 14:49 mark with a goal by Colt Robertson, assisted by Tyler Holmes. However, Fontbonne was able to counter with three straight goals, two by Cameron Director and one by Matt Rech. Marian was able to knock it two more goals to even out the score to 3-3.
In the second, Fontbonne wasn't able to hold the lead, while Marian was able to score eight goals ending the period with a score of 11-4.
In the third, Marian started the half off with two goals, but Michael Picciolo scored his second of the day at the 8:38 mark to reduce the score to 13-5. Fontbonne continued to play hard, though Marian was able to fire in two more goals ending the period with a score of 15-5.
In the fourth quarter, Fontbonne started off hot with a quick goal by Alex Scott, assisted by Brian Nguyen, to make the score 15-6. Marian was able to net 6 more goals; but, Fontbonne's Alex Scott continued to battle until the last 2 seconds to finish the game with a score of 21-7.
Inside The Numbers:
- Fontbonne totaled 32 shots.
- Fontbonne recorded 22 ground balls.
- Marian had 21 turnovers.
- Marian recorded 71 shots.
- Alex Scott, Michael Picciolo, and Cameron Director all had two goals each.
- Brian Nguyen and Matt Rech each had two assists.
- Connor Mallett also contributed one assist.
- Dalton Teague's 26 saves is tied for second all-time in the Fontbonne record books.
- Finn Maloney, Garrett Houlihan, and Colt Robertson had a hat-trick.
- Patrick Langelutti and Nick Klotz both had two goals and two assists.
- Dan Liberk played 11 minutes allowing one goal against.
The Griffins are back in action at home against Cornell College on Wednesday April 24th. Game begins at 1 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's lacrosse team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).