Story written by Sports Information Intern, Jason Dierker
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. -- The Fontbonne University men's lacrosse team had a big, 19-3, conference win over North Central University on Wednesday. It was also Coach Singleton's first victory at the helm of the Griffins.
Final: Fontbonne 19, North Central 3
Location: Elliot Park Field (Minneapolis, MN)
Records: Fontbonne 1-7 (1-3 MLC), North Central 0-6 (0-5 MLC)
Fontbonne got on the board first at the 12:02 mark with a goal by Alex Scott, assisted by Reagan Chin. From there Fontbonne took charge and added four more goals; while, continuing to play strong defense by only giving up one goal to the Rams. Score at the end of the first was 5-1.
In the second, the Griffins added three more goals all scored by Matt Rech. However, North Central continued to fight and scored twice reducing the score to 8-3.
In the third, Fontbonne turned it up a notch and added six more goals giving them a 14-3 lead over the Rams. More importantly, the Griffins were able to play strong defense and hold off North Central from scoring.
In the final quarter, Fontbonne continued to find the back of the net by netting five more goals. They continued to shut out the Rams throughout the quarter ending the game with a score of 19-3 in favor of the Griffins.
Inside The Numbers:
- Fontbonne totaled a season high 19 goals.
- Fontbonne was 22-26 in face-offs.
- The Rams recorded 24 ground balls.
- The Rams finished with 27 shots.
- Matt Rech recorded a season-high five goals and one assist.
- Connor Mallett and Alex Scott both contributed four goals each.
- Brain Nguyen (two), Patrick Kennedy (two), and Cameron Director (two) all contributed to the score sheet.
- Dalton Teague picked up his first win in net.
North Central Notables:
- Tim Dokken recorded one goal on 13 shots.
- Danny Williams and Jaydon Crim also scored one goal each.
- Tim Dokken (13) and Danny Williams (six) lead the Rams in shots
The Griffins return to action on Friday April 5th at Beloit College. Game-time begins at 7 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's lacrosse team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).