Story written by Sports Information Intern, Jason Dierker
St. Louis, Mo.—The Fontbonne University men's lacrosse team hosted Concordia Chicago in an intense home match that ended with a tough 15-8 loss.
Final: Concordia-Chicago 15, Fontbonne 8
Location: Centene Stadium
Records: Concordia Chicago 3-3 (2-1 MLC), Fontbonne 0-5 (0-2 MLC)
Fontbonne scored first at the 13:29 mark with a goal from Alex Scott (assisted by Brian Nguyen). From there, Concordia Chicago and the Griffins went back and forth with two goals each making the score 3-2 in the Griffins favor.
However, in the last two minutes the Cougars added three more goals to take a 5-3 lead after one quarter of play.
In the second, the Cougars continued its offensive push by adding three more goals throughout the second period to take an 8-3 advantage. Fontbonne, though kept strong and continued to play hard.
In the third, Fontbonne found the back of the net four times to change the pace of the game. However, Concordia Chicago was able to score three goals and continue to lead 11-7 at the buzzer.
In the final quarter, Fontbonne scored the first goal to reduce the lead to 11-8 and continued to fight to shorten the lead the Cougars had, but the Cougars were able to score four straight to end the game with a 15-8 win.
Inside The Numbers:
- Fontbonne totaled a season-high eight goals.
- Fontbonne recorded 23 ground balls.
- The Cougars led with 51 shots.
- The Cougars also finished with 31 ground balls.
- Alex Scott and Michael Picciolo tied with two goals each.
- Matt Rech contributed a team high 12 shots with one goal and one assist.
- Brian Nguyen (1), Reagan Chin (1), Michael Picciolo (2), and Cameron Director (1) all contributed to the score sheet.
- Connor Mallett finished with two assists.
Concordia Chicago Notables:
- Hunter Combe finished with a game-high four goals.
- Boston Dumas had one goal and five assists.
- Three others contributed three goals each.
- Boston Dumas finished with a team high 12 shots
The Griffins return to action on the road on Saturday against Hanover College. Game-time begins at noon.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's lacrosse team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).